starting strength gym

Thread: New Power Rack

Question New Power Rack

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am going to buy either the Powertec power rack or the Bodycraft F430. Anyone has experience of either one please? Thanks in advance.

I would make sure to try one out in person. I am very particular about chinup bars for example, I hate anatomic/angles bars and also bars which are too thin.

The bodycraft looks better in this respect, but its safety bars look fiddly & annoying to adjust unlike the simple slide out bars of the powertec.

There seems to be a few cheaper options too, how about this one:

only £175

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...power-rack.php

Thanks. I chose these two because of good reviews. I asked the same question on the BodyBuilding forum and there has been a lively discussion on it. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121047211 Majority think the bodycraft is the better choice. I am leaning that way now unless some powertec fans convince me otherwise. I will try out the bodycraft soon.

I would personally go for the cheapest/simplest one that does the job.

The simplest ones actually seem the best. The gym I go to has a very simple cheap rack that has seen heavy continued use since the 1980's.

Avoid gimmicks such as the ability to fit extra attachements. A rack is a very simple thing, there is no need for them to be expensive.

Just examine details like the quality and usability of the hooks. That you can set the safety bars at the right height for use as bench press etc. Little things like that.

Also make sure it has fittings in the right places so you can bolt it to your floor/wall. Very useful if you are doing band-work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I would personally go for the cheapest/simplest one that does the job.

The simplest ones actually seem the best. The gym I go to has a very simple cheap rack that has seen heavy continued use since the 1980's.

Avoid gimmicks such as the ability to fit extra attachements. A rack is a very simple thing, there is no need for them to be expensive.

Just examine details like the quality and usability of the hooks. That you can set the safety bars at the right height for use as bench press etc. Little things like that.

Also make sure it has fittings in the right places so you can bolt it to your floor/wall. Very useful if you are doing band-work.
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...power-rack.php

I have that one 'cos i primarialy work out at home, by myself and the catchers just seem more sturdier. Seems fine, but because it relies on bolts it does start to shake after a while as the bolts loosen so you have to tighten it regularly.

Looking back I think getting a welder to make one for me may have been a better long term solution.

Don't use a bench with it as I just press so couldn't advise in that regards and it doesn't allow a normal sized man to press within the rack But I've had no problems pressing outside.

also I don't have the rack bolted on nor do I have a floor attached to the rack as Rip advises in SS2ndEd, but I don't have a problem yet. Then again I'm only squatting 140Kg.

For the bolts try greasing them before you tighten.

It may sound weird, but greasing bolts allows you to do them up much tighter.

If that doesnt work, clean them with solvent and apply loctite!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    For the bolts try greasing them before you tighten.

It may sound weird, but greasing bolts allows you to do them up much tighter.

If that doesnt work, clean them with solvent and apply loctite!
    Thanks, been meaning to do that but it only occurs to me when it's time to squat at which point I think it's good enough to get me through today's session and then I forget to do it afterwards. Been like that for a few months!