starting strength gym

Thread: Woo hoo! New embarrassing form checks!

Default Woo hoo! New embarrassing form checks!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yup some more embarrassing form checks for you guys.

Press- 37.5kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBb_wSXmspk

Got a few things to ask about this 1 on top of the brilliant advice i know you guys will give.
    1) Is it just me or am i pushing back instead of up? Or is it just the shitty angle of the vid. I have a feeling that it ain't really a vertical bar path.
    2) Seen from the side, my arms are meant to be right next to my ears? No matter how much i try my arms always seem to be behind my head. I tried to keep my head looking forward more this time by fixing my eyes on a picture on my wall in front of me and it helped hopefully.

Powerclean - 40kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egwIIuZhWeE

Haven't gotten around to uploading my first set of 47.5kg powercleans which i was meant to do this workout (up from 45kg last workout), but i dropped back to 40kg because now that i could finally vid my cleans, i saw how horrible the form was. My elbows were always catching the bar too low (sometimes not even racking on my shoulders) and then sort of muscling the bar up. Hopefully the 40kg were better form-wise, but i still need a lot more work on it.

Things i hope for some input:
    1) is my set up right? i think sometimes i'm too over the bar right? i need to sit back more?
    2) am i racking these right (elbows up high, hip-bar-midfoot position)
    3) anything else about my lame form

And i thought i would just throw in another squat to make sure it was ok.

Squats - 99kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiKpIk1BxwY

I must thank Gary for introducing me to the wonders of the belt. I feel so much tighter and stronger throughout the whole lift especially at the bottom and coming out of the whole. I don't have as much of a start-stop thing to my squat coming out of the bottom. However i have to ask about the belt causing lack of depth. I'm not sure if it's the tightness of the belt causing me to feel the tightest higher up than without it, so because the forum's advice to me when i first posted my squat vids was that i was plummeting to the bottom without staying tight and relaxing everything, so i focused on staying tight and still had decent depth. Now i don't know if it's the belt or whether its a form creep with the weight increasing, that i now seem a bit shallow on the squats (seems to be like its just parallel or maybe a bit above?). Hoping for some help here.

Sorry once again for the really, really, really long post, but i trust those of you who are snowed in will have the time to look over these for me please.

Thanks, Confuzzl3d

Squats look good to me, not that it means anything. I see you're looking up, but I do it sometimes and helps to keep my chest up. One error to fix another, I guess.

You're working those squats hard man, lol.

Squats: Yes you are cutting these a tad high now. The reason looks like you aren't getting your knees out enough. You look tighter going down so that's good...so just get those knees out and feel those adductors and hams stretch. You will bounce out of the hole better that way.

Have you tried looking down when you squat confuzzled?

I agree if you push those knees out first, just pressure out and keep them out there prior to letting your ass drop you will sit into those nice and tight, a bit deeper and have much less trouble coming out of the hole. The only thing stopping you from depth is just sitting back a bit more and pushing those knees out a bit will do that.

as it is are you sure that weight is not getting out on your toes? You shift forward pretty hard and dont keep that torso angle. Drive form the hip yes but dont shoot the hips the torso angle is kept constant everything from the waist up and be made of stone anmd not shift. Every inch the hips move the bar should move as well

Thanks all for the help. I'll try getting my knees out and sitting back and hopefully i will hit that depth.
    Also about the head thing, once again yes i do try to keep my head down but like i have said when the weight of the bar threatens to crush me i scream to myself 'UP!' to continue squatting the weight up, and my head will also follow. If i don't do this my back begins to round under the weight. I still have no idea how to fix this....

PS. can ya guys also have a look at my cleans and press for me

PPS. and also i'll just chuck in the powercleans at 47.5kg that i said the form was terrible in my OP but never got around to uploading the vid yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YSfqbuxslU

I'm not great at coaching the quick lifts, but it looks like you might not be getting 100 percent extension. You need to have faster elbows. I like to see the elbows rotate right when you stomp. It seems to help me with the timing of the lift and make it quicker.

Ah, I've missed these - The mellow radio vids.

Press seems to have a lot of layback to it. Don't be afraid of smashing your face with the bar, be afraid of not smashing your face with the bar. You've got like 20 inches between the two of you on some of those reps. Just try to avoid looking up in general.

Start eating that foodz post haste. Gobble down jars of peanut butter if you must.

You really should be eating a sandwich while reading this. If you have time to read you have time to sandwich.

starting strength coach development program
    I know i need to up the food again . My failed bench at 60kg today tells me so.