starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stonger is better

Default Stonger is better

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's an example of strength being significantly more important than technique:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbh...cin-najm_sport

It's Mariusz Pudianowski's MMA debut. He's a very successful strong-man competitor (who I believe won The World's Strongest Man five times) that decided to train for a fight. I'll give you a hint about the outcome: the fight does not last very long.

His opponent was hardly a skilled fighter, though: he was a boxer, was he not? It'd be interesting to see Mariusz take on a proper skilled fighter.

I agree. Strength first then technique. I remember back in the day when I was a 165lb BJJ blue belt. (almost got to purple but I stopped training) I'd kick the shit out of the majority of people that first came into train. However when it came to the stronger guys after a few weeks they figured out what was going on and they were 100x harder to tap. I guarantee that if some big 220lb+ powerlifter walked in - I wouldnt have been able to do much.

Thumbs up

thanks for the thread, guys!

If he fights someone with some skill, when he drops his hands for those leg kicks they'll take his head off.

A better example would be Lesner v. Mir II or Lesner v. Couture or even Lesner v. Herring. Without the huge strength advantage, Lesner would have been dominated.

But, regardless, it was fun watching Pudz! -- a bit like watching a bear maul a hiker :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Here's an example of strength being significantly more important than technique:
    It only seems that way is because his opponent is in experienced. Put Pudzilla in the ring with an experienced heavy weight like Minotauro or Mir, and watch the big man get picked apart.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    I agree. Strength first then technique. I remember back in the day when I was a 165lb BJJ blue belt. (almost got to purple but I stopped training) I'd kick the shit out of the majority of people that first came into train. However when it came to the stronger guys after a few weeks they figured out what was going on and they were 100x harder to tap. I guarantee that if some big 220lb+ powerlifter walked in - I wouldnt have been able to do much.
    I disagree with this. I've got a bit of experience in jiu jitsu as well, and I can remember going to a seminar as a solid 200lb blue belt in 2007. At this seminar were a few world champions from Brazil. I remember I was paired up with a 120lb guy from brazil and let me tell you, he OWNED me. I was so much more powerful but his technique is what destroyed me.

Theres no replacement for experience or technique. Pudz raw power will get him far, but he will eventually hit a wall with people that are more experienced than him

And dont expect to see him in UFC anytime soon. Doubt he'd pass a drug test.

I've been killed by tiny little Brazilian purple, brown, and black belts as well so i definetly know what you mean by being "owned". However I've noticed that without a Gi the dynamics changed a bit. Was it a gi or no gi match? Do you still think he would have dominated without the gi? What do you think would have happened if you would of had to fight him instead of grappling him?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    I've been killed by tiny little Brazilian purple, brown, and black belts as well so i definetly know what you mean by being "owned". However I've noticed that without a Gi the dynamics changed a bit. Was it a gi or no gi match? Do you still think he would have dominated without the gi? What do you think would have happened if you would of had to fight him instead of grappling him?
    It was both a gi and a no gi seminar, though I only attended for the gi seminar. I did mosty gi work when i practiced BJJ since I enjoyed it a bit more than no gi.

I can't comment on how he would have done had it been a no gi seminar or a real fight. I'm not really one to speculate. Something tell me his multiple championships would possibly have provided an edge though.

starting strength coach development program
    True. The reason I bring it up is because in my experience the Gi really helps out the smaller super technical guys. When the Gi comes off and you have to go against a huge monster its alot harder to tap them. In regards to asking the question about an actual fist fight, I sometimes felt that although I was able to submit guys that were a heck of alot bigger/stronger than me, I wouldnt be able to get away with it in a real fight. Fast forward to now with 50lbs of mass added on - I feel that I can handle myself alot better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast