starting strength gym

Thread: Bar position on the Squat

Default Bar position on the Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all, so I'm working on my back squat bar positioning and I would like your alls opinion on whether this is low enough for bar position. It felt as if it was below the "spine of the scapula" as prescribed in SS. If it is, I'll post vids of my next squat workout for feedback. Thanks!

-mc
    Attached Images Attached Images

there's no "low enough." the bar is either on your rear delts or somewhere else (on top of the traps in a high bar squat).

in the images you posted, you have the bar on top of your traps.

watch this for a pretty good visual of the difference between the positions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZ1HzoH0Rw#t=4m10s

goddamnit. alright, i'll rework it on Wednesday. i guess it needs to be about an inch or two lower? i need to get more flexible, clearly. Thanks for the video, that really stresses the difference.

to feel the spot, forget about even having your hands on the bar. let them hang over the top and have your wrists pressed up against the bar. shove your elbows back and up, and as the bar moves down your back, you'll feel it lock into place. then try to get your hands back on the bar. you'll probably have to take a pretty wide grip in the beginning.

i squatted incorrectly for about the first 3 months of SS, so i know how you feel.

Thanks for posting the Squat Rx youtube series. I was searching in vain for a clear comparison between highbar and lowbar.