starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow --> forearm pain (tennis)

Default Elbow --> forearm pain (tennis)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Might not be exactly training-related but i thought i'd ask. I've been playing recreational tennis for a long time now (not very good but yeah), and recently i've been developing medial elbow pain after i serve a few balls. It only seems to start when i serve and once i stop it will slowly go away, however when i start serving again it would flare up.

The pain starts on the medial elbow (so i don't think it's tennis elbow), but then it goes on and spreads all the way to the lateral side, and then my forearm starts felling tingly and weird (kind of painful too).

I'm not sure if it's my grip, because i've been using the same grip for all these years, but i don't know if somehow my training is related.

Possible causes are:
    1) grip
    2) elbows not being under the bar for the bench which i was so thankfully pointed out and will try to correct
    3) elbows in bad position under bar for squats

and for some strange reason i get the same tingly feeling in my elbows and forearm when i do powercleans. In this case it isn't pain but more a weird, tingly feeling.

Sorry if this is vague but hoping for some useful help. Tennisgod i know you're a professional tennis player so i was wondering if you would know

Interesting timing on your post, confuzz... since I am going thru something similar right now.
    My elbows and forearms have become sorer and sorer lately, and serving tennis balls certainly increases the pain to the point where I can hardly grip the racquet.
    I thought it was the chins since I recently added them to the workout. But it was my grip on the squat. Read SS:BBT page 32 which explains the consequence of bad squat grip, which explained my pain to a 't'.

I realise that technique is critical once the weight becomes heavy. I would suggest that you still haven't mastered the proper grip on the squat and the symptons still reoccur. Maybe take a video of your squat and see if the grip is correct all the way thru the lift.

Good advice tennisgod. I thought the squat might be the cause. I've always been using a thumb's over grip but i'll try and pay extra attention that my wrists stay in line with my forearms and do not intercept the weight of the bar. Thanks