starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -quarter squats-

Default -quarter squats-

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What do you guys think of quarter squats?
    I'm interested in doing them in 10 minutes or so, once I hit my 24-Hour Fitness gym. It seems to me they've been given a bad name much in the same way leg press has.

Thoughts?

If you're going to do these, do them in a rack and so that the bar rests on the pins at the bottom of each rep. Please do not let your poor patellae take the brunt of stopping and reversing direction without benefit of the hamstring pull, especially with all the extra weight you're bound to be using.

These will be good for quadriceps development and for the actual lockout. The actual hand-off at the sticking point in the squat when the posterior chain turns the lockout over to the quads is another story.

Paul Anderson worked quarter squats down to full squats over a training cycle in what's today called "Progressive Movement Training" or something like that.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Gary Gibson; 12-23-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
    I'm interested in doing them in 10 minutes or so, once I hit my 24-Hour Fitness gym. It seems to me they've been given a bad name much in the same way leg press has.

Thoughts?
    Do them on a swissball, with one leg in a resistance band.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post

Thoughts?
    Go for it. And don't forget to put the pad on the bar and do them in front of a mirror.

With a butt pirate for a spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by BCS View Post
    With a butt pirate for a spotter.
    Aaaar! Gimme all yer booty!

I think it's not entirely clear to me whether isometrics and partials are a wonderful idea or a complete pile of horse poo.

Yeah but powerlifters have been doing board presses, floor presses, rack pulls and halting pulls with great benefit. If done from the bottom (to save the tendons), I don't see why the occasional half/quarter squat wouldn't help. Especially considering that's where a lot of lifters slow done after the stretch reflex.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Yeah but powerlifters have been doing board presses, floor presses, rack pulls and halting pulls with great benefit. If done from the bottom (to save the tendons), I don't see why the occasional half/quarter squat wouldn't help. Especially considering that's where a lot of lifters slow done after the stretch reflex.
    Yup (see my first post).

I think most lifters these days, however, use high box squats to get the same effect. Going too high in the quarter squat really confers no benefit to anything, much like really high rack deadlifts don't. The goal is to work the sticking point. That's the hand-off from posterior chain to the quads somewhere above the half squat point.

starting strength coach development program
    As usual, these things need to be put into context. Partial movements and other assistance exercises are unlikely to be helpful to those who've not spent some time on doing, or don't even know how to do, a full squat. That probably means most of the guys (and gals) at 24 hour Fitness--although I confess I've never set foot inside of one so I could be totally wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast