starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High bar vs Low bar squat

Default High bar vs Low bar squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all, so I'm currently attempting to get my squat from high bar to low bar. I wanted to know if there were differences in how muscles handle the weight in a high squat vs in a low squat? Today, I was working on getting the bar in the right position, and succeeded on my first work set, failed on the 4th rep of my second work set, and then took it back up to high bar to finish because my shoulders were feeling jacked up. Thoughts? Feeling pretty pissed about that fail, though.

Also, a more general question, I find myself judging folks in the gym based on the shoes they're wearing. If they're squatting/deadlifting and they're in running shoes, I judge. And then, 99% of the time, if they're wearing running shoes and squatting, they go NOWHERE near parallel. Anyone else see a correlation here?

You should read SS:BT.

Highbar squatting is like legpressing with a bar in your neck.
    And lowbar squatting is like squatting while using your entire body.
    After all I am a troll so I am probably wrong here aswell

You will find that most people here are fans of the low bar squat. It is more demanding of shoulder flexibility than high bar and the mechanics are quite distinct. Being able to do both is good. I second the recommendation that you read Rip's book.

Also, don't worry too much about what others are doing or look like in the gym. Most folks don't know how to train. Learn to train yourself and get strong. Perhaps a few observant people will start to emulate what you do or ask for your help.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 12-23-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added a bit of extra text

What's the need for high bar squats when there are front squats?

Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    What's the need for high bar squats when there are front squats?
    I don't know about your experience with front squats, but "core" strength is often the limiting factor, more than leg strength for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
    I don't know about your experience with front squats, but "core" strength is often the limiting factor, more than leg strength for sure.
    That is true. And for a lot of people, core strength rather than leg strength is also the limiting factor on low bar back squats. Front squats, however, help very well with cleans. I don't really see the connection between high bar back squats and cleans. Thus I don't really see the point in performing the high bar back squat, when the low bar version is superior to it in terms of overall body strength and mass gains, and the front squat is superior to it in terms of helping the clean.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Hey all, so I'm currently attempting to get my squat from high bar to low bar. I wanted to know if there were differences in how muscles handle the weight in a high squat vs in a low squat?
    There's more hamstring involvement with the low bar squat.

Today, I was working on getting the bar in the right position, and succeeded on my first work set, failed on the 4th rep of my second work set, and then took it back up to high bar to finish because my shoulders were feeling jacked up. Thoughts? Feeling pretty pissed about that fail, though.
    Like with most things, there's going to be a learning curve. You'd probably be much better off deloading a bit, hammering form, and working your way back up (which should happen pretty quickly, because the low bar squat does involve more muscle than the high bar squat; it's just a matter of learning how to do the movement). And, as someone else mentioned, low bar demands much more shoulder flexibility than high bar. Try warming up your shoulders with some dislocates and give it a few weeks -- your flexibility should improve. I also started low bar squatting after a couple years high bar squatting and it took a couple weeks before it started feeling natural, but once you get used to it, you'll never want to go back.

Also, a more general question, I find myself judging folks in the gym based on the shoes they're wearing. If they're squatting/deadlifting and they're in running shoes, I judge. And then, 99% of the time, if they're wearing running shoes and squatting, they go NOWHERE near parallel. Anyone else see a correlation here?
    Most people who squat in running shoes obviously haven't given much thought to what a proper squat is, so it should come as no surprise they squat high.

Sounds like I need to start giving low-bar squats a try. Lift more weight... work more muscles... is there any aspect where high-bar is preferable to low-bar?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
    Sounds like I need to start giving low-bar squats a try. Lift more weight... work more muscles... is there any aspect where high-bar is preferable to low-bar?
    Less people at the gym will come up to tell you you're doing it wrong.

Have you read the many chapters or articles (available for free here) that Rip's written on this?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast