starting strength gym

Thread: Thinking about buying SS, but have a question

Default Thinking about buying SS, but have a question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have done some reading online and several people have recommended this book to me, so I am interested in purchasing it. I have been working out for about a year and a half, but I have not followed a set routine. My main goal right now is to add some size and increase my strength.

What I am wondering is if this book gives you a program to follow? From what I've read it seems like it has plenty of information about the main lifts, but does it give you a routine to follow? For example, does it say do x lifts on day x for month x. Then proceed to y routine for month y. That is really what I am looking for right now.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Yes. But if you want substantially more info about how to program, check out Practical Programming.

<------ It's over there somewhere.

Yes, Starting Strength has a program to follow. That program will last you 3-9 months from what I've seen here. 3 months BARE minimum. Along with priceless information on for, etc. that you will continue to use as long as you lift. PP will get you through the left of your lifting career. Unless you actually make a career out of it. by then you'd have someone paid to figure all that out for you though.

Quick answer:

Yes and no. Just get the book. You won't regret it.

Longer answer:

There is no better book on the market that analyses the "big" lifts to such degree and commences you on a lifetime of good lifting habits. Actually there isn't another book entirely dedicated to learning the lifts on the market that I know of. In no way this means it wins by default and should in no way detract you from purchasing it. The attention to detail, quality of writing, diagrams and pictures, and biomechanical breakdown is light years ahead of anything similar written on the subject.

For what it counts, this is coming from someone who owns 30+ texts on the subject of strength training, has competed in weightlifting, and has a graduate degree Strength and Conditioning.

The books Starting Strength and Practical Programming are well worth the money. You may find that the first 'program' described in these books is deceptively simple but amazingly effective.

No matter how much you know about the lifts, I feel like I discover new information in SS every day. I would recommend definitely getting both SS and PP.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the help guys. I think a program that lasts 3-9 months and is simple is perfect for me right now. I like the idea of a long term program, and if it is simple and there is plenty of information on doing lifts correctly I can focus on working hard instead of wondering if I am doing lifts correctly.

I will check out the Practical Programming too. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to everyone!