starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The quest for a 405 deadlift before I turn 50

Default The quest for a 405 deadlift before I turn 50

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Currently training for the March Arnold Classic unequipped powerlifting meet. I compete 100% lifetime drug free and 100% raw (no belt, suit or wraps). Have returned to the lifting platform after a 17 year layoff...this time it is me lifting the weights, not support gear.

I have this wild notion of pulling a deadlift with four plates a side before I'm 50. That would be 3.5 times bodyweight. I have pulled a beltless 345 several times now, including in competition. I will have three years to do so as of May so now is a great time to start. This will be a massive undertaking, but I'm game to give it a run and compete along the way.

Week five of current training cycle:

Beltless dead stop deadlifts:

265x5
    285x5
    300x5 - This last set was hard, but I had a couple more reps in me. I am used to doing one set of 5 and may have to cut back to this again on deadlifts as the weight goes up. But the confidence of knowing this weight is mine even when fatigued is a tremendous plus. If I walk up to the bar thinking I can not do it, I won't get it off the floor.

Weighted chest to bar strict no kip pullups:

20x5
    30x5
    40x5 These sets were much too easy. Definitely need to increase the weight. I did 50 for five a couple weeks ago along with 70x2. Don't know why I didn't pay attention and add some weight to these pullups.

F/46/115#/5'1"
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 12-24-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
    Currently training for the March Arnold Classic unequipped powerlifting meet. I compete 100% lifetime drug free and 100% raw (no belt, suit or wraps). Have returned to the lifting platform after a 17 year layoff...this time it is me lifting the weights, not support gear.

I have this wild notion of pulling a deadlift with four plates a side before I'm 50. That would be 3.5 times bodyweight. I have pulled a beltless 345 several times now, including in competition. I will have three years to do so as of May so now is a great time to start. This will be a massive undertaking, but I'm game to give it a run and compete along the way.

265x5
    285x5
    300x5 - This last set was hard, but I had a couple more reps in me. I am used to doing one set of 5 and may have to cut back to this again on deadlifts as the weight goes up. But the confidence of knowing this weight is mine even when fatigued is a tremendous plus. If I walk up to the bar thinking I can not do it, I won't get it off the floor.

20x5
    30x5
    40x5 These sets were much too easy. Definitely need to increase the weight. I did 50 for five a couple weeks ago along with 70x2. Don't know why I didn't pay attention and add some weight to these pullups.

F/46/115#/5'1"
    M/57/160/5'6''
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I couldn't pull 295 yesterday. You are my new hero (or heroine).

Why do you shun the belt?

Kelly, what do you weigh, and do you care what weight class you lift in?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post

265x5
    285x5

20x5
    30x5

F/46/115#/5'1"

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Staley View Post
    Kelly, what do you weigh, and do you care what weight class you lift in?
    It's at the bottom of her post. 115lbs.

Thank you. I was going to suggest that gaining weight is probably to quickest most reliable route to a bigger pull. Also more training in the 1-2 rep range

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    It's at the bottom of her post. 115lbs.

Kelly, I'm lifting at the Arnold too. I'll be following your log, and wish you nothing but success in Columbus and your pursuit of 4 plates. I'll make sure to introduce myself at the meet.

El Viejo,

Don't worry....age has it's privileges!

Smack,

I am tired of dealing with support gear. I threw away my suits and shirts years ago when I realized how weak I was without them. I still have my belt but don't wear it. Competing this year without any gear was a real pleasure and I was able to relax and enjoy the meet. I am happy with my progress and I feel great without it. Just a personal choice.

Charles,

I compete in the 123# class (barely - I usually have to eat more near contest time to tip the scales past 114 so I can compete in the 123 weight class). I am naturally a 114# class lifter but I want more strength and size. I figure at my age I am running out of time to make this happen. I have added another 3 glasses of whole raw milk mixed with raw milk cream to my daily diet in an effort to grow to the top of my weight class and I've reduced most metcons to three times a week and under 10 minutes each.

I may be doing too many reps with the deadlift; every fifth week I do 3x5. The other weeks are considerably fewer reps. I will be adjusting my schedule as needed to keep things within my ability to recover.

I am still at a loss as to why one would want to shun the belt. Lift more weight, safer. Seems like a win-win to me. A belt isn't even on the same league as suits.

starting strength coach development program
    Well Smack, it's a personal decision. You wear your belt, I won't wear mine and everyone is happy!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast