starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What the $*&% is Holding Back My Cleans?

Default What the $*&% is Holding Back My Cleans?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On my best day I can do 195 lbs with an ugly rack. Most times I try 175 is about the best I can do.

I recently low bar squat 405 with a belt. 315+ high bar isn't a problem. A couple days ago I front squatted 235 for a max triple. I can deadlift 445 conventionally when fresh.

I've only started practicing the power clean again, true. But I thought there'd be some carryover from the way I upped all my other squats. I don't have reliable records anymore, but I could swear I was cleaning (granted this was a full squat clean) and snatching a lot more a few years ago.

Bodyweight may be a factor here, too. I dunno.

Opinions on specificity, strength-speed (as opposed to speed-strength), age, size, etc?

Thanks.

Probably a technique issue.

It's gotta be a technique issue, Gary. You are definitely strong enough to pull more than that. I'm not terribly fast twitch (if you know what I mean), and I'm significantly weaker than you are, but I can pull at least 195 for a single.

Might be time for a video.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Might be time for a video.
    Do I have to wear pants?

I'll if I can record something from an angle what will reveal the flaws.

[QUOTE=Gary Gibson;86958]Do I have to wear pants?

Just cover the family jewels, and you'll be fine :-))

Quote Originally Posted by statesboroga_keith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Do I have to wear pants?
    Just cover the family jewels, and you'll be fine :-))
    Even though the idea of watching loincloth power cleans is funny, be warned: I got a pretty nice Power Clean Rash™ on my thighs from doing them in shorts the other day. Ouch!

(speaking of which (sort of), the knurling on the B&R bar is awesome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33EF8p7yFAg

Here ya' go. I posted in Charles Staley's Q&A too. Maybe together we can heal this clean.

Edit: BTW Raskolnikov, I don't even get a chance to have technique limit me when I go over 185. The bar is just so damned heavy ~200 that it just shuts me down. I can deadlift more than twice than much, but I can't make 200 go any higher than my hips.
    Last edited by Gary Gibson; 12-24-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post

I'll if I can record something from an angle what will reveal the flaws.
    If you can get something from the side, I have some video editing software that I can use to trace the trajectory of the bar and put things in slow motion so we can see exactly what's going on. But judging by the video you've posted, it looks like you are definitely letting the bar get out in front of you and you have some early arm bend. And, man Gary, you've got some long fucking legs. I thought I had a high hipped starting position...

starting strength coach development program
    (Here's my reply to Gary from my Q&A)

Well you're not making any particularly gross errors. And looking at your squat and dead numbers, you're not weak either. You should be power cleaning at least 220 on a 440 dead IMO.

Which leaves me to this: I think you need to work on speed/power, especially on your second pull (the portion of the pull above the knees)

If you watch that video of you, notice how there isn't much change in speed once the bar clears the knees. In fact, the whole lift seems to be done with one speed. It should be sloooowww-POP! (Slow to fast). You got no pop

By comparison, go to 3:40 in this video, and watch my speed/tempo on 154, 176, and 198 power cleans. Big difference, yes? (BTW, watch my client Kim right after me in that vid- she's been doing cleans for about 3 weeks and she also lacks that "pop" I'm taking about despite being able to pull almost 400 in the deadlift.)

Clean pulls performed in a rack from just above the knees, working on maximum/aggressive torso extension will help, among other things...

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    If you can get something from the side, I have some video editing software that I can use to trace the trajectory of the bar and put things in slow motion so we can see exactly what's going on. But judging by the video you've posted, it looks like you are definitely letting the bar get out in front of you and you have some early arm bend. And, man Gary, you've got some long fucking legs. I thought I had a high hipped starting position...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast