22 41.51%
  • I want to get strong, but I want to maintain a certain "look"

25 47.17%
  • No thanks, I just want a sub 3 Fran

0 0%
  • Stupid poll, Keith

6 11.32%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To hell with Aesthetics!!!! Who's with me?

Question To hell with Aesthetics!!!! Who's with me?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A little about me.

36 yo Male dabbled in CF for nearly a year but gravitiated toward more barbell work. Tried CFSB and CF Football but got annoyed with the length of the workouts, especially with a newborn (now he's 5 months). Have been following the CFWF model of increased bar work with occasaional metcon. Saves time, I'm getting stronger and I can get my "cardio" on.

Here's the thing. I stopped counting blocks and went Paleo with LOTS and LOTS of meat. I have gained about 15 pounds but at the same time increased my press and PC by 15 pounds. I've reset my squat and DL, but I know I am going to set PR's there when its time. I've made up my mind to forget about silly little things like "looking the part" in pursuit to see how strong I can get. (Goals in pounds- 500 DL 400 Squat 300 Bench 200 Press)

So, who else is resolved to follow the program (SS and/or PP) and EAT, get strong, AND DONT WORRY ABOUT LOSING or GAINING a 6 pack???

I have such contempt for fatties that if I was to ever look in the mirror and see one staring back at me, I'd have to clean out my ears with a gun.

Be strong, look strong.

Well, I don't really care about 6 packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    I have such contempt for fatties that if I was to ever look in the mirror and see one staring back at me, I'd have to clean out my ears with a gun.

Be strong, look strong.
    Whoa.

I don't think fat will ever be a problem for me, but I do like looking "hard." I like the way middleweight powerlifters and weightlifters look and I hope to become a proficient middleweight powerlifter myself.

the only six pack i wanna see has two milk jugs and a vag!

Be strong, look strong.
    I find this kind of shocking! Also in general, being fatter makes you stronger.

You do realise that you are very likely to end up as a fatty one day. Either when your middle aged and prefer beer to training, if you get busy with family/job & have no time to dedicate to nutrition & training or in the unfortunate event that you may fall ill or have a significant injury in your lifetime. The 'physique' is going out the window.

I am 25 and started training about a year ago. Ive always been skinny-fat, been weak, slow and full of many medical ailments including poor lungs, sight, rhinitis, asthma, vision problems, dyspraxia, very unstable/impinging shoulders and more! making me kind of pathetic at anything physically challenging.

I just had the epiphany that I am in my mid 20's. I am in my 'prime' this is the best its ever gonna get. I have the potential for best physical performance & appearance at this age. And both those things kind of sucked. It was the physical functions of my body however that were letting me down.

I got into barbell strength training heavily and it dominates my life currently. It has helped me improve physical performance in many more ways than expected. I realise also that it is having a positive effect on physique and of course it is a nice bonus.

But im just trying to get my body to function the best I can within this short lifetime to be able to enjoy using it, in sports and other physical stuff. Without fear of injury or being the embarassingly weak one. Improving function is for life, challenging yourself intelligently for maximal strength can help you face anything aswell as helping with long term health.

But training and eating to get strong has both instilled in me the very temporary and fleeting thing this all is. I fight so hard to build a few grammes of muscle then go to the butchers to buy kilo's of flesh to use as fuel. Buying meat so regularly has reminded me of the basic animals we are and the very near eventually of death.

Training by itself consumes so much of ones life, why do things for the vapidness of getting visible abs? Who really cares?

Lifting weights for strength and olympic lifts can both be highly enjoyable and benefit you in the rest of your life in terms of perfomance, health & psychology. Which will benefit you when old & fat or if ill/injured and no longer able to pose with your bicepts or absicles.

In essence, im saying (for me anyhow)

that life is too short to spend bodybuilding, and that maintaining a bodybuilding style physique is of less benefit to life than a body built around performance.

And that eating carbs makes one feel happy & contented.

I want be big enough that it doesn't matter if I have abs. There is a certain look that only certain people seem to be able to get where it looks like their traps are popping out of their shirts. The yokemaster general Jim Wendler is of course a good example and so is Andrey Belyaev. Other world class lifters don't have this look despite having much more mass than those two (eg. Andy Bolton). If you train around really good competitive lifters of any kind you will probably see what I'm talking about - guys who you see in a t-shirt and it just doesn't matter if their midsection is just fat because they are so obviously jacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I find this kind of shocking! Also in general, being fatter makes you stronger.

You do realise that you are very likely to end up as a fatty one day. Either when your middle aged and prefer beer to training, if you get busy with family/job & have no time to dedicate to nutrition & training or in the unfortunate event that you may fall ill or have a significant injury in your lifetime. The 'physique' is going out the window.
    You seem to have a very loserish attitude.

George:

Jim has written an article about what he likes to do to get his massive yoke.

In summary, it is:

a) Heavy deadlifts

b) The Olympic lifts

Plus some other stuff he said wasn't nearly as important.

Most of all, it's probably genetic, though.

For your sake, I hope you outgrow this.

Be strong, look strong.

starting strength coach development program

Be strong, look strong.
    Good God, man. What's wrong with you?

I believe in sacrificing aesthetics to a certain degree. So many young un's believe in six-pack abs and bulging biceps and starvation diets. That's where strength lies. Check out the bb.com forums to see 150 lbs. kids who "did Rippetoes" and have a 200 lb deadlift and a 140 bench. It's a damn shame.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast