starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining Weight and Breathing

Default Gaining Weight and Breathing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've put on a bit of weight since starting SS. I'm up to 215 from 178 back in October.

Within the last week or so i've been having trouble breathing. I can't help but think this has something to do with rapid weight gain and a small gut. I fear that I may have overdone the calorie intake.

The feeling subsides a small amount when i'm laying down, but sometimes at night I just feel like I can't completely fill my lungs.

I'm thinking that I might have just gained weight too fast for my body to adjust. I've never been anywhere close to this heavy and i've always been pretty skinny. Please tell me this isn't how overweight people feel all the time.

Is this common? Should I drop the calories a bit? What do you guys think?

How old and how tall are you? Do you have an idea of what your BF is? If not what is your waist size.

I have trouble breathing if I ever really overeat (like on holidays and the like) are you still gaining weight? What is your conditioning like?

Are you adding in any metcons (at least 1x/ week) or are your sets done fast enough to acclerate your heart rate? A metcon at least once a week does the trick for me.

as a fat guy who has experienced rapid weight gain, I can tell you 'yes' this happens.

adding/upping a metcon once or twice per week should get you feeling back to the way you were after a couple of weeks. at least that's what has worked for me.

My heart hadn't been feeling swell, and I was concerned enough to actually want to check my BP.

But it's feeling much better now. It was pretty awesome/interesting how a set of deadlifts made it feel like it was gonna asplode.

I also feel like sharing that I'm also the sort of person who'd often drink a quart of chocolate milk as fast as possible, even though it'd frequently lead to puking later.

Life just isn't as exciting as it should be.

Thanks guys.

I'll go ahead and add some conditioning to my program. I bet that will make a huge difference.

By the way, do you guys have any suggestions for metcon that won't interfere with my SS lifts?

I'm not a fan of running so I prefer to do HIIT type stuff like burpees. My only concern is that it will mess up my recovery on my squats and bench press.

I'm still a complete noob when it comes to SS, so please don't flame me.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    By the way, do you guys have any suggestions for metcon that won't interfere with my SS lifts?

I'm not a fan of running so I prefer to do HIIT type stuff like burpees. My only concern is that it will mess up my recovery on my squats and bench press.

I'm still a complete noob when it comes to SS, so please don't flame me.
    I would say keep you metcons to a 10 minute maximum. No chippers or grinders or that silly stuff you see posted on the popluar "functional fitness" pages... jump rope, short sprints, DB swings, mountain climbers are good; i throw in some jumping jacks too for old times sake. If you do a M,W,F SS routiene,then Saturdays work well. One metcon a week works for me, 2 metcons help me accelerate fat loss.

Just my 2 cents

starting strength coach development program
    oh yeah, and you can Tabata anything. that always works well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast