starting strength gym

Thread: New Weighted Chin PR

Default New Weighted Chin PR

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww-KW9f-CSI

I'm no blowdpanis, but this is the best I can ever remember doing.

Managed to set a press PR earlier tonight too with 125x3x3. Pathetic, but better than before!

If you are the board's ambassador of squats, I guess that makes me the ambassador of chins...

Perfect reps. Good stuff, Gary.

Does doing chins with a higher weight/somewhat low rep range increase reps without weight?

Nice job Gary. Way to push through on that last rep.

Wow, you are strong. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    Does doing chins with a higher weight/somewhat low rep range increase reps without weight?
    To a point, yes, absolutely.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

And to add to the strength/reps issue...

As Rip points out, getting stronger means that a given weight or force needed to be generated is less of your 1RM...so it takes relatively less effort for the stronger you to move and so you can do it more times. But as blowdpanis said, only to a point.

Like in a bench press, one 405-lb bencher may be able to do 225 10 times and another 405-lb bencher may get it for 20. BUT a person who specializes in repping 225 may get it up to 50 reps and at that point he has likely sacrificed a lot of 1RM strength and may struggle to get 315. SAID: Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand. Just the way it works.

Same thing with chins: the guy who can chin with bodyweight added may or may not be able to do bodyweight only for more than 20 reps. And the guy who can do 50 chin ups in a row had to specialize in reps at bodyweight to get there and very likely couldn't do a double bodyweight chin.

Absolute strength only carries over to endurance strength (repping at lighter weight) in the sense that it makes a given weight easier to move; AS doesn't actually up your stamina; it just makes a given load not require as much endurance...if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Absolute strength only carries over to endurance strength (repping at lighter weight) in the sense that it makes a given weight easier to move; AS doesn't actually up your stamina; it just makes a given load not require as much endurance...if that makes sense.
    This is what I wanted to confirm. I've had little luck increasing my max reps for BW chins through perseverance alone. It seems a more efficient and timely strategy to add weight with the same amount of reps than add reps with the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    This is what I wanted to confirm. I've had little luck increasing my max reps for BW chins through perseverance alone. It seems a more efficient and timely strategy to add weight with the same amount of reps than add reps with the same weight.
    If you are more concerned with getting more reps and not so much with chinning with heavier weight, then you can try synaptic facilitation, also known as Greasing The Groove (thanks, Pavel).

If you have access to a chin up bar all day, then bust out a few chins far from failure at various times throughout the day. Practice frequently without burning yourself out. Like, if you can do 10-15 chin ups, just do 3-5 every 2-3 hours. Every few weeks test your rep max.

Constantly burning out by maxing reps in the pursuit of a higher rep count doesn't work very well (at all).

starting strength coach development program
    Nice pullups Gary! Strict with height over the bar. Sweet.