starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift PR

Default Deadlift PR

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hit a strong pull earlier this week. Got 555 at 186 lbs (weighed collars after pull, they were 2.5 each).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kyd3n9zNzA

I think its pretty obvious where my sticking point is. Lockout assistance is going to be my friend for a few straight months.

I will be pulling 600+ in the 181 class at usapl raw nationals in July, and this is a great step towards that goal.

How did your back feel afterward (not sarcastic)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    How did your back feel afterward (not sarcastic)?
    Back felt just fine, a little sore but probably because I went for a squat PR during the same session.

My back rounds a good bit during PR attempts, I'm aware of this. Looking to correct this over the next few months and I think with curing it my lockout will also improve.

Were you sticking your chest out? Because it looks like you weren't. Or do you normally lift with a rounded upper back? I know that's how
    Konstantinovs does it.
    Last edited by Mr.City; 12-24-2009 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Were you sticking your chest out? Because it looks like you weren't. Or do you normally lift with a rounded upper back? I know that's how
    Konstantinovs does it.
    Before I pull I try to get real tight and connected with the bar, keep my back tight and flat, and head and chest up. It breaks down somewhat for my PRs because its fucking heavy and my upper back is a bit weak (which I think is why I round and why my lockout sucks).

Like I said next few months I'm going to spend addressing upper back and lockout strength and that should help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Before I pull I try to get real tight and connected with the bar, keep my back tight and flat, and head and chest up. It breaks down somewhat for my PRs because its fucking heavy and my upper back is a bit weak (which I think is why I round and why my lockout sucks).

Like I said next few months I'm going to spend addressing upper back and lockout strength and that should help me out.
    You are a very, very strong dude (that pull is insane at your bodyweight, or any bodyweight), but if you look at any of your deadlift videos, it's pretty obvious you don't "set" your back at all (say in the Rippetoe sense of the term of squeezing your chest up to put the spinal extensors into extension + taking the slack out of the bar before you begin your pull), you pretty much just rip it up.

As such, it's not really an "upper back," issue, it's your entire spine that starts and stays rounded throughout the pull. You can see this pretty clearly in the following video, freeze the video right before the bar even breaks the ground, your entire spine is flexed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zckJ-BpcBF8

I used to do the exact same thing (but was never nearly this strong), even in competition, so don't take this as criticism, just an observation.
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 12-25-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks for all the comments but with all due respect this was never meant to be a critique my form video. I am aware its not 100% perfect form as outlined in starting strength, and I'm probably losing some pulling power because of that, but I'm going to attempt to correct this over the next few months. Remember my goal now is competition, form doesn't have to be 100% (this lift would have passed just fine), though form correction would probably help my pulling power (which is why I'm going to try and correct this).
    I was just ecstatic that I finally hit a ~3X bodyweight deadlift and wanted to share.

Good job!

Yeah, that spine is pretty flexed, but CManuel is one strong mofo.

Congrats on triple bodyweight. I saw you recently PR'd your SQ too.

starting strength coach development program
    Great job. Stong lift!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast