starting strength gym

Thread: Your blood pressure

Default Your blood pressure

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mine is 115/60, I usually run around this, 100-110/60-70. The first number was taken at a walmart free check station, so I don't know how accurate it is.

What is yours? Has your strength training affected it up or down?

Well, one time I went to a "personal trainer" at my Base gym cause I was looking for training on snatches, cleans, etc. Boy was I in for a treat. During my initial screening, they pegged me at some extraordinary BP level, where I was basically stage 1 hypertension. Then they put me on a machine that supposedly measured BF% and pegged me at 33%. Scared me a bit, so I went into my doctor the next day and got my BP measured again, and it was around whatever "normal/healthy" is considered. Basically this whole experience taught me never to trust machines or "personal trainers." I guess I am concerned about my BP but I dont think that my SS program will effect it that much.

I think it's a little rash to right away blame the "personal trainer" and machines for an elevated blood pressure. Your BP is subject to some exceptional variability stemming from many variables. That is why MDs do not categorize you as hypertensive until two consecutive hypertensive readings on two separate visits.

Besides there are other better reasons not to trust your run of the mill "personal trainers" and machines. Like usage of Bosu Balls and extermination of the human race by computer controlled cyborgs.

I know, I know. There were many things about that particular experience that have effected my telling of the story, thats for sure.

Machines are to be feared. Hell, thats one of three reasons I train in the first place. If not robots, its gonna be zombies or aliens before long.