starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery in the gym: Texas Method

Default Recovery in the gym: Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,

I tried searching the forums to answer my questions, but couldn't really find anything specific to recovery work in the gym, and more specifically it's application to the Texas Method.

I was just wondering what the best sets/reps/exercises/overall volume are best on the light intensity Wednesday in the Texas Method. I only have Starting Strength at the minute, though I'm not sure this particular aspect is explored too much in PP anyway.

I'm doing as follows:

Monday: Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Cleans 5x3

Friday: 1x 2/3/4/5 (That's just one set, reps depends on the week, it alternates) in squat, bench and clean.

I'm unsure what the best thing to do on wednesday, and how important it is if it's difficult for me to make into the gym that day. My only thoughts at the moment are doing lighter (80%) sets of 3 squatting and overhead pressing.

Wondering if anyone had any advice on the matter?

Also, one more thing, is it worth trying to squeeze deadlifts into this program if I'm not wanting to jeapordise my progress on the three lifts I've focused on above?

PS: One other off topic question, which I may open a new thread for depending on how many people I can see live around my area: does anyone of a good gym for barbell training in central London, England? My university gym is closed for a couple of weeks and other gyms I've tried always seem to have every machine you could imagine but somehow manage to lack space, a squat rack or sometimes even a barebll.

You should get PP.

Wednesdays can be 2/3 light sets of 5. Light being about 80% of Monday's load.

Wednesdays are important.

You can deadlift once a week on Friday, though I've heard of some people doing them on the light Wednesday instead.

Have a look through the log section at some of the intermediate threads.

Whereabouts in the city are you?

I live in Kennington, but I'm happy to travel a bit if it means I can go to a decent gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetotail View Post
    I live in Kennington, but I'm happy to travel a bit if it means I can go to a decent gym.
    You're in luck! I live down the road from you in Elephant and have 210Kg in bumpers and Pendlay Bar and a Cage. But no, I'm not going to let someone in Kennington who I've never met come into my house and train with me.

I know of three Gyms who have suitable equipment:

1.Flaxman Gym in Camberwell, ran by Lambeth Council.

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/L...ortsCentre.htm

Proper black iron gym like Rip's but caters more towards BBers. racks and weights aplenty!

2. Kinetic Gym ran by the Student Union at King's College London (KCLSU).

http://www.kclsu.org/page.asp?sectio...c+Fitness+Club

More of a 'fitness' centre, but they do have a squat rack (ussually unoccupied 'cept for curlers) and a place to do deadlifts (the corridor or inside the rack). It's in waterloo though, right next to the iMax, so you might have to come to elephant first and take another bus or run the two miles to waterloo.

3. Bethnal Green Weightlifting Centre ran by Giles Atwood, who holds the british weightlifting records (not sure of weight class). He runs classes for 13 weeks for 40 GBP. (once per week, you can sign up for two or three classes to work out more times per week). They will teach you all the Oly Lifts or Powerlifts by their resident Powerlifters. There's even some Cfers that go there and pletny of opportunities to get involved in competitions in either sports.

The reason why it's so cheap is that it is ran by the local council (40 pounds for one session per week with expert power/oly lifters for 13 weeks!).

for their blog:

http://bgwlc.blogspot.com/

to sign up for a term in the new year:

http://www.learningladder.co.uk/cour...ity=&x=46&y=13

Great, cheers for the list.

Kinetic is my gym normally, but it's closed for christmas until 4th January, cause it's mainly students who work there. The free weights section is a bit cramped, but it does the job.

I'll take a look at Flaxman gym for now, their xmas/new year opening hours look quite good. And I might check out those classes when I live a bit nearer to Bethnal Green in summer.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Great, cheers for the list.

Kinetic is my gym normally, but it's closed for christmas until 4th January, cause it's mainly students who work there. The free weights section is a bit cramped, but it does the job.

I'll take a look at Flaxman gym for now, their xmas/new year opening hours look quite good. And I might check out those classes when I live a bit nearer to Bethnal Green in summer.

Thanks a lot for the help.
    Are you a student at KCL?

First year medic here.

Yeah, I'm a third year maths student. You not living in King's residence this year then if you're in E&C with your own weights and stuff?

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I'm a third year maths student. You not living in King's residence this year then if you're in E&C with your own weights and stuff?
    Nah, I've been living in Elephant my entire life. Applied to a bunch of schools but medicine being as competitive as it is, I 'only' got into KCL (more acurately: King's College London School Of Medicine Based At Guy's, King's College and St Thomas' Hospital )

What the others said about getting PP is a good idea, recently ordered PP 2nd Ed from the american amazon, so I don't mind loaning out my 1st ed copy now that I essentially have two copies of the same book. Not sure of the mechanics though 'cos all my time is spent at Guy's (I've not actually been to the Waterloo campus yet!).

I really recommend the Bethnal Green weightlifting Club though, the council is threatening to cut their budgets so they need as many members as they can get. More importantly they are pretty much the best place in London to have someone teach you the Oly lifts and, conincedentally, the cheapest.