starting strength gym

Thread: Which Knee Wraps to get?

Default Which Knee Sleeves to get?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Which of these two knee sleeves would you suggest? It looks like one is just made of thicker neoprene. Should I go for the extra support? Thanks!

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=300&pid=3013

Like a BBW, this knee sleeves are built for comfort. This is a perfect knee sleeve for those that want to keep their knees warm, the synovial fluid hot and the pain down. These do not give you a lot of support; just enough to make a slight bit of difference. These are comfortable enough to keep on between sets.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=300&pid=3014

These knee sleeves are extremely thick and will give you some great support - not quite like a knee wrap but something very close. These are quite thick so they are harder to get on, especially for people who possess more cow than calf.
    Last edited by IWillLiveFreeOrDie; 12-26-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Changing terminology from wraps to sleeves.

Just to clear up some gear nomenclature, those are knee sleeves, not knee wraps. They are made of standard wrap material and are designed to provide some support (dont expect 30+ lbs like properly wrapped knee wraps, more like 5-10 AT THE MOST).

For what its worth, I've had some friends order the EFS sleeves only to return them due to poor fitment.

Go with APT knee sleeves. Properly sized and are great quality. I own a pair of the APT Single Ply Convict Knee Sleeves I use them for max singles and triples sometimes.

You are absolutely right. I meant sleeves and not wraps. I'll try and edit the title. I just read Gary's article on gear, and I'm looking for somethign to add a little support and keep my joints warm.

I will definitely check out the APT sleeves. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    You are absolutely right. I meant sleeves and not wraps. I'll try and edit the title. I just read Gary's article on gear, and I'm looking for somethign to add a little support and keep my joints warm.

I will definitely check out the APT sleeves. Thanks!
    Yep, APT for the win! And if you are solely looking for something for warmth and no carryover, the Rehband Blues are the gold standard of neoprene sleeves.

If your looking for little support and mainly warmth to keep the knee nice and lubed up id look at the old blue rehbands and the TK's. The TK's are damn warm.

I have the heavy knee sleeves. They are tight and give a good amount of support. A lot of people don't like them because they take some effort to get on and off especially if you size them according to the chart.

I weigh 220 and am about 6'4" and I'm wearing Larges.

I've yet to hear of anyone wearing the super heavy's and liking them. From what I remember they're really hard to get on and off.

IMO, if you want something to give you some pounds on the squat get the Heavy knee sleeves and if you just want warmth and support listen to Phil. If you've never worn anything on your knees before you may want something lighter.

Thanks for all of the input guys! I think I know which way to go now. I'm not looking to add pounds to my squat so I will probably get the Blue Rehbands.

starting strength coach development program
    I just picked up a pair of the Rehband Blues that Cmanuel linked to.
    Used them this morning in 30 degree (F) garage, no more worries about
    cold creaky knees. Excellent choice for warmth and Jackals Gym is great to do business with also.