starting strength gym

Thread: squat depth check

Default squat depth check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZOQjSnFiI
    know my shoes suck ill get new ones, and i'm taking it off the incline press, which is the only option for me to squat
    also i'm pretty sure that from the 4th rep i'm a bit high

Quote Originally Posted by skywave23 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZOQjSnFiI
    know my shoes suck ill get new ones, and i'm taking it off the incline press, which is the only option for me to squat
    also i'm pretty sure that from the 4th rep i'm a bit high
    Everything you say is true. The depth is way below parallel on the first, less so on the second, right at parallel on the third, then higher and higher for the last two. A common enough phenomenon. I'm sure you'll fix it (a little less weight for now maybe).

Yes, your shoes suck and the lack of stability is obvious. This will be fixed by a non-compressible sole. But you knew that.

Your hip drive and overall form (the running shoe tremors and gradually fading depth notwithstanding) look pretty good from here.

Your buddy spotting you is pretty funny.

so, in which of the reps am i right on the depth?

The ones that break parallel.

BTW if you're asking which depth is exactly right: just a little below parallel, but in real life the first energetic rep or two tend to be a little deeper than necessary and the last couple will be borderline. It's what you exhibited here and it's natural; you're getting tired and getting depth is taking energy that is rapidly depleting. So not as deep as the first and no higher than the third. Your first two reps should've looked like your second and your last three should have looked like your third.