starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Straps or Hooks

Default Recommended Straps or Hooks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started my Modified Russian Deadlift protocol today. 80% for six sets of triples. Ensuing deadlift session will be same weight for six sets of four, then five, then finally six of six.

Today I started with hook grip for the first four sets, then used mixed grip for the last two. I'm figuring I'll have to use a mixed grip after by the third set to get those triples on Friday. By next week, I'm going to need straps or hooks.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Gary Gibson; 12-27-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Started with triples, not doubles.

I personally use seat belts, which are pretty rock solid... K.Diesel has some positive experience with "versa gripps", IIRC

I like Iron mind stuff. Their products are always spot on and the customer service is outstanding. Actually called once about a gripper question and Randall Strossen, the owner, answered the phone. Super nice guy (as opposed to inzer) and very helpfull. I think some of their stuff is pricey but if I could squat a grand and wanted to travel with my rack I could with one of theirs. The straps are of equitable quality, as strong as I'll ever need, and will last me forever. Plus their blue and will match all the other gear you have........

+ for Seatbelts.

They too last forever and make you look hardcore.

You can do cleans & stuff with them safely too. Very easy to dump the bar.

But im only a beginner and havent used anything different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    + for Seatbelts.

They too last forever and make you look hardcore.

You can do cleans & stuff with them safely too. Very easy to dump the bar.

But im only a beginner and havent used anything different.
    As long as the seatbelts are blue.........

Gary, get straps not hooks. While I've been waiting for this cracked place in the crease of my hand to heel, I've been using hooks on my deads. They totally fuck up the feel of my grip, because I have to grip around the bar plus the barbell. It's mental, mostly, but I don't need shit like that fucking with me when it's time to get serious and lift. I don't know about the different brands of hooks, or how they differ one from another, maybe someone else can chime in.

I used to own a set of basic cotton $3 lifting straps that you can get at dicks sporting goods, academy sports, etc...

Now I have a pair of APT basics 2" straps.
    $10 well spent

I second the Iron mind straps I use straps a lot on my partial work to mainly save my hands sets and reps can begin to mkake them look more like hamburger. If you dont have a grip issue go for them.

Again the basic iron minds are killer and last. I had bad luck with the APT's and broke several pairs about the same time several of the pro strongman guys broke theirs. I hear that was a bad batch though. My thre year old Iron minds finally had to go the way of the dinosaur so im giving the APT's another run. So far so good and Alan and his company do a LOT to help lifting both power and strongman so they are also a great company to support

You guys all rock. You know that, right?

APT seems to be out of stock on everything. So I went to Ironmind and got the Blue Twos used in WSM. Can't go wrong with that right? If it's good enough to deadlift 700+ lbs (or whatever the heck they use), then it should be fine for reps with half that much.

Stacey, my experience with the 1-Ton Hooks parallel your own with hooks. I just could never get my grip to feel secure because of the extra thickness of the hooks themselves. And as a built-in safety feature, the CNS will NOT let you lift max lifts which you cannot hold securely. (This is why mixing the grip will make a deadlift that felt too heavy with a straight grip suddenly feel entirely doable. This is also why pressing your girlfriend who weighs only 90% of your max is so hard; spinners don't come with a nice, grippable handle in the middle like barbells do).

I lost (or threw out) my 1-Ton Hooks in my last move, but now I will be needing grip aid to get the necessary volume on deadlifts and I didn't want to repeat my mistake with hooks. Never used straps before. I figured the best kinds would be the kind you have to order on line.

starting strength coach development program
    Just noticed that in SS Rip says to avoid the straps with the loop sewn into the end. Yet all the straps I've seen available commercially have a loop. The ones I just ordered from Ironmind were the official straps of the 2008 WSM. I'm guessing this is one of those times I'm not supposed to follow the book slavishly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast