starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method light day

Default Texas Method light day

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    in PP2, the "Jesus Quintana" workout plan in the back of the book shows a reduced bench press on wednesday/light day during what I call B week (press two days and bench once). However, on A week, the press done on light day is listed as the same weight as the B week weight that you pressed, so essentially there is no reduction in weight, only a reduction in volume (3x5 as opposed to 5x5).

Has anyone experimented with lowering the press weight on light days? Any reason why the midweek press is a significant percentage of total pressing strength? I'm considering pressing a lower weight for light day.

While the light day press will "feel" very difficult--as nearly difficult as, say, your heaviest bench day will feel--it is actually relatively light in terms of skeletal loading. And skeletal loading is what matters here, not the fact that, in terms of your actual pressing strength, this weight will feel very heavy. Make sense?

Try it as written. All doubts aside, it works.

-Stacey

That's the justification I was assuming. Sort of like a heavy finger curl doesn't have a huge impact on the overall body, even if it is heavy

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    That's the justification I was assuming. Sort of like a heavy finger curl doesn't have a huge impact on the overall body, even if it is heavy
    Yep, sort of like that.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post

This is a great analogy and I think makes sense as to why the sample program is listed that way.

I've also been doing Texas Method programming and on my last recovery day workout the press weight was the same as my 5x5 weight, but I started it lighter for a while. And don't think I'll increase it any for a while either. Even if it is overall a lighter load on the body, I like keeping it a little lighter. I'm actually only doing 2 sets also.

Another note on that sample workout, the 5 sets of chins and GHR seems like a lot of volume for recovery day also. Do you guys think so?