starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full complement of form checks....

Squat and bench look solid (squat could use knees forward sooner, if I had my druthers).

The other lifts suffer from a host of problems that could be addressed just by flipping back through SS. I tell you what, since you'll learn more this way, why don't you tell US what you think you can improve about the other lifts, and then we can chime in?

-Stacey

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread, but i have a questions about the bar trajectory in the bench that is really troubling me. I see guys post their bench forms here and the bar makes a a pronounced angle (like this /) from the head down to what appears to be more lower on the chest and then back up to the head. And then the reply is that their bench form is good. Then take for example LHPoulin who doesn't seem to have much of an angle with a more straight up, straight down movement and it is also deemed good. So i'm really confused as to what i should be doing seeing as i feel my bench form could be improved on

I just watched the hang clean video as im focused on cleans at the moment myself.

Did you notice that you are sliding the bar down your thighs to the extent that it is considerably in front of centre?

I did this too in my earlier stages of learning, but when I saw the video it was blatant, as is the case with you. Easy to fix.

I couldnt help but watch the deadlift video too.

Your lower back looks severely rounded. You also do not need to look upwards so much. To get a good finish, contract glutes and push chest out. No need to lean back.

I just watched the Press video now too. And im going to have to agree with stacey. You are missing so many of the basic form fundamentals that its best you read through SS or watch the videos.

Your elbows must start in front of the bar on the press.

Ugh, this is reminding me of learning to weld all over again, lol. I though the press and bench were my two best lifts, tbh. I though my squat would get eviscerated. My back is rather inflexible, I have a really hard time getting it extended. Tried all kinds of stuff. Most of my problems come from having little-to-no physical ability to begin with, but I'm determined to get this right. Off to read and research and thanks for your help!
    Last edited by LHPoulin; 12-27-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Just read, watch the tutorials and practice...you'll get it!

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Sorry to sort of hijack this thread, but i have a questions about the bar trajectory in the bench that is really troubling me. I see guys post their bench forms here and the bar makes a a pronounced angle (like this /) from the head down to what appears to be more lower on the chest and then back up to the head. And then the reply is that their bench form is good. Then take for example LHPoulin who doesn't seem to have much of an angle with a more straight up, straight down movement and it is also deemed good. So i'm really confused as to what i should be doing seeing as i feel my bench form could be improved on
    LHPoulin isn't tucking his elbows on the descent it looks like.
    His bench is more reminiscent of this...

In contrast we have a pretty drastic tuck in powerlifitng...

If you check your copy of Starting Strength Rip advocates a more medium position with moderate tucking. This creates a more diagonal bar path (with a normal proportioned person).

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewo9W8a8ifE

I believe I fixed everything, but for the back. I have a real problem extending my back and keeping it there. I don't know how I'm gonna fix this or if I can at this point. Also, the main problem was that I was too wide. Everything kinda dribbled down from that. Once I re-read the chapter and watched the videos, after having my blinders removed , it seemed quite trivial. This set of 5 reps felt easier than the set of 2 with 50lbs. less weight. Plus I was able to comfortably wear my belt; it's the only way I can remember to squeeze my abs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast