starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Starting Strength Seminar for me?

Default Is the Starting Strength Seminar for me?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm thinking of signing up for the seminar. I'm on the fence about whether or not I'm too novice for this seminar. I have only been training for a little over a year. I am a woman over 40, I think I have a pretty good understanding of whats right and wrong in the weight room, I have a good trainer and I have read and understand most of the Rippetoe stuff out there. Anyone have thoughts?

I have only been training for a little over a year.
    Do you mean barbell training? You've read the books and are familiar with the methodolgy that is taught at the seminars? Does your "trainer" also follow a lifting program and give you useful feedback each session so your lifts improve?
    If your answers are 'Yes', then I'd say join us. The fact that you're female and over 40 has nothing to do with it (I'm both by the way)

Keep reading the forum and checking out the videos and the responses to continue to familiarize yourself with all that is involved in useful training. And register...we'll see you there!
    jp

Default Does your "trainer" also follow a lifting program and give you useful feedback

Thanks JP. I'm happy to say I think I fell into some pretty good hands here at my gym in NYC. My trainer has a really good program called POWER HIT that has allowed me to learn most of the lifts with progress almost each time. I discovered what PB's are and love it each time I can do better then last time.

Apologize for the thread-jack but I have the exact same question.

Is the Starting Strength Seminar for me?

I've got all of Rip's books and DVD's. I've read them all at least a dozen times each. I've been on a SS inspired workout for over a year now.

I've taped and critiqued my form on all exercises many, many times.

Basically, I'm fairly certain my form on all exercises is nearly perfect. And if much of the content of the seminar is derived from the books that I've practically memorized, should I still consider coming to the seminar?

Coupla points, YMMV:

1. The seminars are more current than the books.

2. The % of people who think they're doing it right and actually are isn't very high. And even good lifters learn tricks by interacting with people with more and/or different experience. This is why you peeps should all get to actual competitions. Invaluable.

3. Even if you're doing everything perfectly you'll learn more than you think by working with other people. It's good to lift in meets AND coach other lifters. Books, internet and etc cannot replace this.

4. But of course, consider your own goals and finances. If you're on the fence, 2 and 3 are nice, cheeeeep options and well worth pursuing and it won't hurt anyone to start there.

s.
    Last edited by stef; 01-02-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: "cheeeeeep" needed more eeee

Default cert

Although I believe I hold the distinction of being the "worst" attendee ever, I learned a shit ton at the barbell cert. I expect you people will learn a ton more at this new format - 3 day affair. If I ever get so I can squat correctly and move some weight, I will be back again, unless I have been banned for life.
    On of the best points for me was when Stef told me to comment on this tiny woman's perfect deadlift. I had no idea what to say, it was perfect so I said nothing. She said to say something positive, keep talking to her. Well duh, that’s what coaching is all about, I guess. Not being an athlete nor ever having been coached this did not occur to me.
    I did successfully coach some bench pressing picking out things to make it better and got complimented. I did successfully clean as long as the big man was not watching me. When he was looking of course, I crumbled miserably. I did get cheered on with my final pathetic deadlift by the whole crowd, which I found touching as well as humiliating at the same time. I did get my ass handed to me about my squat numbers in the final discussion – totally expected but still pretty embarrassing. Yes I get it, I suck. But all and all it was a positive experience and one I will not soon forget.
    I personally could handle the learning/coaching part having read it all multiple times (read read read before you go). But I was ill prepared regarding being able to move weight but despite that I got what I went for - better knowledge even if it is extremely hard to apply to one’s self. I was coached briefly on deadlifting by an unnamed affiliate and was doing it ALL wrong. I am glad I learned the right way.
    Stef (the extremely knowledgeable doctor Bradford) is right. It is so easy to do it wrong not to mention get in the habit of doing it wrong. The interaction with other people that do know what the hell is going on is invaluable.

Thumbs up on going, IMHO. You will love it.

Assuming one considered themselves to have perfect form on the lifts, which nobody does (even those of us that help at the seminars), then it may be a chance to try your hand at coaching. You will undoubtedly learn a lot at the seminars, and if you enjoy this kind of thing then you may enjoy learning more through coaching. Take it into consideration.

Also looking to see if Starting Strength Seminar is for me. I would like to attend the one in San Diego in February.

I'm 25 and started working out with a chest/tris back/bis split in July 09 then switched to Starting Strength back in October 09. Before that I have not been on a strength training program nor stepped into a gym since my high school weight training class. I feel my lifts are pretty pathetic for 5'8 and 175lbs (currently my work sets are 110 bench/245 dead/185 squat/75 press).

I bought Rippetoe's books (SS and PPST) and currently follow the Novice Program in Practical Programming. I have not video taped my lifts nor have I had anyone look at my form yet. I'm only concerned that the Seminar may be too advanced for me, a complete beginner.

...and currently follow the Novice Program in Practical Programming.
    Drumb-you've read the books, comprehend the methods and have been putting them to use for four months? Yes...please come. You need to get feedback on how to lift and become useful at looking at others' lifts as well as give feedback.

See you there Ya?
    jp

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbandit View Post
    I bought Rippetoe's books (SS and PPST) and currently follow the Novice Program in Practical Programming. I have not video taped my lifts nor have I had anyone look at my form yet. I'm only concerned that the Seminar may be too advanced for me, a complete beginner.
    Rip manages to describe things very clearly, in a manner that the un-experienced coach/lifter will understand. If you can afford it, and you plan to continue lifting, you should consider going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast