starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better life for someone who's thinking of trying shot put, bench press or standing?

Default Better life for someone who's thinking of trying shot put, bench press or standing?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Not sure if anyone has experience with shot putting, but I was wondering which pressing movement would help someone in the event more, standing or bench? Obviously squatting/deadlifting/cleaning take precedent, but which press I should focus on is a bit unclear to me. Personally, I enjoy the standing press a lot more.

Check out elitefts.com and go to their logs. They have a guy that is a shot putter.

His name is Chad Smith and his log is at:
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-...id=111675&tid=

You can also ask questions there.

I'll definitely vote for the Press on this one. All you need to do is take a look at how the entire kinetic chain is strengthened in the press, and how it mimics the release point. Just take a look at this pic and compare to a press and bench and you tell me:

That ref is either tiny or the putter is a giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    That ref is either tiny or the putter is a giant.
    I'm going with a bit of both.

And I suggest training like Ricky Bruch: http://70sbig.com/?p=431

I think the overhead press is more similar in a movement-to-sport context, but the bench press is the best movement to support overall upper body development/weight handled.

If only there was a good program that allowed for plenty of progression, while utilizing important movements like the squat, clean, deadlift, bench press and overhead press...

Both

Push press too. I like push press on monday, press on wednesday, bench friday, everything 3 sets of 5 unless you have a good reason to do otherwise. You make progress in all three simultaneously, and the weights are obviously higher for push and bench than press, so you get a little TM-style lighter day in the middle of the week. I've been doing this for a while now and love it and am making huge progress in all three.

Ditto on both. But you might want to check out Dan John's stuff. I believe he was a thrower back in high school and college, and if memory serves he has some programs geared for throwers in the archives on his website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast