starting strength gym

Thread: texas method and starting intensity

Default texas method and starting intensity

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    ok i was reading practical programming because i was getting bored w the same old routine. i was looking to start the texas method.

my question is what intensity % should i use on monday? weds lite=70-75% friday is heavy=90-95% 1 rmax.

should monday be 80-85%?

i basically followed SS yet i added more volume to my squats 5x5 and that i DL'd every single session @ 5x5 switching out ohp bp and hang cleans as indicated.

my body and mind is getting frazzled constantly operating 90-95%-i'd like to have that one day in the middle to coast thru.

A few questions:
    - Have you checked out the advanced Novice program?

- Some lifts are going to need intermediate programming sooner than others (we're all a little different). So you may not need TM for everything, you may just need intermediate programming for 1 or 2 lifts.

-Are you just bored or are you stalling out often?

im not stalling per se. but im doing the lifts and pushing myself trying 5-10 lbs on squats and DL'S and on bp and ohp every little gain i make (mostly micro) its getting to me mentally and now physically.

if i miss a workout on a scheduled day im really frigged up. im so hooked on lifting. im just finding that im not into mentally once im there, im distracted about stupid shit outside the gym (life stuff). weights that i blew thru 1 session seem 2x heavier the next. i think im adding weight faster than my body is really coping with it.

what is the int ss program?

Off th e top of my head, I think I remember the advanced novice SS prgram being:

Week1:

Mon:
    Heavy Squat
    Bench
    BW Pull ups

Wed:
    Light Squat
    OHP
    Deadlift

Fri:
    Heavy Squat
    Bench
    Weighted chins

Week2

Mon:
    Heavy Squat
    OHP
    Weighted pull ups

Wed
    Light squat
    Bench
    Power Clean

Friday
    Heavy Squat
    OHP
    BW Chins

So rather than 15 lbs per week on squats you would be increasing by 10. Also, no more Heavy Squats and Deads on the same day.

I don't remember the percentages on light squats, but probably 70-80% of the previous squat weight.
    Last edited by GdMisfits; 12-29-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Clarification

ok thank you.

i guess its time to face doing chins and pull ups. i even find it difficult using bands. my gym has one of those assistance bars with the pedal that props you up? is that even worth doing as it seems it too much machine and not enough person effort?

also if i'm really stuck on chins and pulls would a lat pull down station help? using a pull grip and then using a chin grip?

Bad place to ask that question. Everyone will tell you that the gravitron and the lat pull are worthless, but YMMV. Mine sure did. When I got up to my body weight on the lat pull down, I could do the same number of pull ups as lat pull downs. and it was much easier to increase linearly on the pull down machine than it has been this go round, in which I started with 1 pull up and negatives, and now am trying the screwy gravitron deal instead.

i will try both knowing full well in advance that its no replacement for doing real pulls and chins....-i cant even do dips!!! i have a fucked up left hand since birth that has nerve motor cordination issues. so it is substantially weaker than right side by 35-50lbs weaker.

i can do dips with bars on the floor pushing myself up. but hanging from a power station-nope.

i appreciate your help

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Strong,

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    i was looking to start the texas method.

my question is what intensity % should i use on monday?

should monday be 80-85%?

In the back pages of the second edition of PPST there's a TM example.
    If I remember correctly, Squats on Monday are done @ 305 Lbs, and the Friday 5-set is @ 345Lbs.
    This seems to suggest that Monday is closer to 90% of your 5RM, give or take a few percentage points. This seems to be true also for the Bench and the Press.

I also think there no hard and fast rules. In the book it's clearly stated that the Monday load can, and probably will, be altered according to whether you start stalling first on Mondays or Fridays, and even according to how good you feel on a specific day.
    As usual, a few experiments will give you the load percentage that works best for you.

IPB