starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and DL Progression Question

Default Squat and DL Progression Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm getting to the point that i'll be switching my DL out with powercleans and adding the day of GHR/Chins and Pull-ups. This will have me DL'ing every 4th workout.

Today i'll be squatting 205 and DL'ing 250. That's 45# difference.

I'm curious how to progress in my DL if i'm only doing it every 4th workout and how to keep my squats from catching up.

Right now i'm still adding 10# to squats and 10-15# to DL every workout. As you can see, it won't take long to pass it up.

I know that by doing squats I will also make my DL go up since i'm using so much of the posterior chain, but I guess i'm just wary of moving up more than the prescribed 15#.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    I'm getting to the point that i'll be switching my DL out with powercleans and adding the day of GHR/Chins and Pull-ups. This will have me DL'ing every 4th workout.

Today i'll be squatting 205 and DL'ing 250. That's 45# difference.

I'm curious how to progress in my DL if i'm only doing it every 4th workout and how to keep my squats from catching up.

Right now i'm still adding 10# to squats and 10-15# to DL every workout. As you can see, it won't take long to pass it up.

I know that by doing squats I will also make my DL go up since i'm using so much of the posterior chain, but I guess i'm just wary of moving up more than the prescribed 15#.
    I wouldn't worry too much about your squats catching your DL, you will probably have to switch to 5lb jumps on squats soon if your DL progress is starting to slow. I know that with the way my lifts are going, my squats are getting closer to my deads. I don't see it as too much of a problem.

Thanks Kittensmash.

I actually had a really good workout yesterday so I am just gonna keep on doing DL until I feel like I need to start cycling it.

yeah most folks can't do 10# squat jumps for more than a couple of weeks (but if you can milk it longer, fuckin go for it). when you switch to 5 pound jumps your squats and deads will be progressing at the same rate.