starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever vs. single prong belt

Default Lever vs. single prong belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have decided to buy a belt and am debating between the lever and single prong models. I have narrowed it down to an Inzer or EFS retro series belt. From what I have read, the lever belt is easier to put on and off, but more of a pain in the ass to adjust. Any pros or cons between these two styles? Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Last edited by gman; 12-29-2009 at 03:08 PM.

I just got an EliteFTS single prong retro belt and I was debating between the EFS and the Inzer, too. It seems that one of the big selling points for the lever is that you can get it tighter than a normal belt. For me this was not very important because I don't like my belt super tight.

My EFS belt was just a bit too big for me, so I had to send it back for the next lower size. However, it was beautifully made, very supportive, yet pretty flexible, too. It took a solid three weeks for me to get the belt from EFS because they are made to order. Inzer has some belts in stock, so they can get you something faster. EFS has an excellent reputation for customer service, although Inzer might be good, too.

I got the lever forever and am quite pleased. It's nice to be able to open it up between sets so easily.

The way it is set up you need to a screwdriver if you want to change the holes. Apparently some guys use different setting for squat/deads. I don't.

I threw a stuby flat head in my toy bag but haven't used it yet.

Another fascinating question is 10mm or 13mm. I went with 10mm as it doesn't require breakin but I haven't tried a 13mm to compare.

I have the Inzer Econ Belt. It's the cheapest belt I could find, 13mm, and double-prong. I've read that double-prong buckles are a pain to put on, and they are, don't get me wrong, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

The first few times I tried to get the belt tight it was a pain, but now that I'm used to it I can get it tight without issue and also take it off with minimal issue. Personally I'd rather save the $20 or so because I don't think it's that much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    I got the lever forever and am quite pleased. It's nice to be able to open it up between sets so easily.

The way it is set up you need to a screwdriver if you want to change the holes. Apparently some guys use different setting for squat/deads. I don't.

I threw a stuby flat head in my toy bag but haven't used it yet.

Another fascinating question is 10mm or 13mm. I went with 10mm as it doesn't require breakin but I haven't tried a 13mm to compare.
    I've decided to go with the 10mm belt. From what I have read, a 13mm belt is pretty stiff and takes a lot longer to break in. For what I am using it for, I think a 10mm will be more than adequate. The fact that it is also more comfortable adds to the appeal.

I looked into lever belts, but decided on the double prong "MyHouse" belt I found on their website (mostly ff gear...odd) for about $32.00 and a couple bucks shipping. My reasoning was partly that I'm a cheap bastard, and also that I can bloat an inch in a day or back, and having to readjust that thing was looking like much more work than the prongs.
    As for getting it tight, I defy you to get my belt tighter than I can. Just wrap the bitter end through the buckle hoop, then around the squat rack uprights and lean out while holding it there. I have no trouble getting both prongs in at a spot that is TOO tight.

Cons of a lever:
    1. Hard to adjust.
    2. Can't wear it so loose that all it does is keep your back warm, if you like doing this for some reason.

Pros of a lever:
    1. Everything else.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Inzer 10mm single prong belt, partly because the Inzer rep claimed he had 1 in stock and it would ship next Monday or Tuesday. Otherwise it was a 2-3 week wait with either Inzer or EliteFTS. If I have any issues with customer service, I'll let you know.

Good luck G-man!

One thing about belts! Who cares if they are a little bit of a pain in the ass! Training ain't easy! I like my APT double prong belt just fine!

It is a lot like the people that worry about parking close to the front door of the gym! Really!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Inzer 10mm single prong belt, partly because the Inzer rep claimed he had 1 in stock and it would ship next Monday or Tuesday. Otherwise it was a 2-3 week wait with either Inzer or EliteFTS. If I have any issues with customer service, I'll let you know.
    I did the same thing, and ordered the same belt. Inzer shipped it to me promptly, no muss, no fuss. Had the belt in just less than a week.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast