starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 19 y/o no/no/no squats 350 kg (~772 lbs)

Default 19 y/o no/no/no squats 350 kg (~772 lbs)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFm9q1HBKY&fmt=18

High bar, no less. Obligatory comment here of "imagine how much weight he'd move with even just a belt and properly trained low bar technique."

He C&J'd 195kg. When he was 18.

He was wearing a shirt, shorts and shoes: he's obviously a gear whore.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFm9q1HBKY&fmt=18

High bar, no less. Obligatory comment here of "imagine how much weight he'd move with even just a belt and properly trained low bar technique."
    Mendes is a beast. One of the best HW oly lifters at that age in the US for sure.

And who cares how much more he could squat if he used low bar? He's olympic bound for o-lifting.

Train like you compete.

He puts up some insane weights, and makes it look easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Mendes is a beast. One of the best HW oly lifters at that age in the US for sure.

And who cares how much more he could squat if he used low bar? He's olympic bound for o-lifting.

Train like you compete.
    Well, he doesn't compete in high bar squatting, either. Given his ridiculous strength, I admit to some curiosity what numbers he'd put up in a raw PL fed.

Unlike many, though, I really have no issue with the high bar squat, I think it's as valid a form of squatting as low bar, so my comment was rather tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    Well, he doesn't compete in high bar squatting, either. Given his ridiculous strength, I admit to some curiosity what numbers he'd put up in a raw PL fed.

Unlike many, though, I really have no issue with the high bar squat, I think it's as valid a form of squatting as low bar, so my comment was rather tongue in cheek.
    Oh ok, yeah i thought it was probably tongue and cheek. You never know on the internet though!!!

But i totally agree, i can't help but wonder what on earth he could squat unequipped in a PL meet.

For sure though he is definitely on his way to great things in oly lifting.

He's a (nearly) 300-lb athlete. I'd say a 700-lb squat is par for the course at any age over 15.

And what's more, he couldn't just suit up and go low bar for a 300-lb gain. It would take him a couple months of low bar just to get used to the position and to bring his hamstrings (already plenty strong and up to snuff for his ~800-lb high bar) to get up to par for a 900-lb low bar. THEN he'd have to learn the gear. I'd give him $100 (all I could afford) if he could put on a basic Inzer suit along with wraps right now and get within 50 lbs of a 900-lb squat in any style.

(I gotta stop posting after I've been drinking, too. Going to call my last three girlfriends now.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    He's a (nearly) 300-lb athlete. I'd say a 700-lb squat is par for the course at any age over 15.
    I'm assuming this is a joke? Firstly, it's closer to 800 lbs, secondly, a raw squat this high is a remarkable achievement at any age and at any bodyweight, much less 19.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast