starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PVC's SS Log (Finally)

Default PVC's SS Log (Finally)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background information: 5’9”, 160 lbs (give or take...probably a bit heavier at the moment).

I’ve owned the book SS:BBT for a year now, and SS is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. Two years ago, in a vain quest for rippling abs, I went from about 150 lbs to 132 lbs in two months. Call it an eating disorder, call it negative self-image – whatever your diagnosis is, I was quite unhealthy. Before this I was in pretty decent shape.

Fast forward to another half-year later. I had gained the weight back, but I was in much worse physical shape than before I had lost all that weight. I tried some weight-training stuff, which helped a little, but it was mostly bodybuilding garbage. Through research I found out about SS (or “Rippetoe’s”, as the bodybuilding forums called it), and decided to buy the book after realizing that there was no way I could learn how to do the movements properly from the shitty online descriptions. Got the book around this time last year. I tried doing the program without gaining weight, and I predictably didn’t progress very far.

I joined my school’s rowing team this September, and have gotten into decent shape from that. The season ended in November, and since then SS has been creeping forwards from the back of my mind.

Today I was out jogging, and about a mile and a half in I just stopped and said to myself “This sucks. This just fucking sucks. I hate running, and I couldn’t give a fuck how many miles I can run. I’ve known about SS for a year, and yet I’m still a weak piece of shit. I want to be big and strong, and I’m wasting my time.” I walked home.

That’s my story. I’m on vacation right now, so I can’t start today – but come Jan 2nd I’ll be at it full force. This unfortunately comes with a price. I've been rowing as a ightweight (<160lbs), and I obviously won't be able to compete in this category if I gain any bodyweight. Rowing tends to favor long-limbed individuals, and being a heavyweight at 5'9" might put an end to my short-lived rowing career. This is not ideal, but I can live with it. When it comes down to it, I'd much rather be really strong than be a good rower.

Also, I’m going to have to have a chat with my parents about this. I’m 20, and I don’t live with them, but they do pay my college tuition. And my mom freaks out if I gain any weight...which isn't helped by the fact that my dad weighs 210lbs and is quite overweight (and if I'm not mistaken, I should be aiming to end up at around 210 lbs). I doubt it’ll go over well. But I’ll try. The thing is, I’ve been putting this off for a long time, and I don’t want to waste any more time dreaming of being strong and not doing anything about it. Fuck all the people who tell me that I’m just going to be a fat lard at the end. Fuck all the people who are holding me back. I’m doing this. Finally.

Welcome to the world of barbell training! You've picked a good place to keep a log. We will be watching and helping if you ever need it.

Default Questions before I start

Not sure how often people look at these logs, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for these questions.

For one thing, I still don't fully understand the concept of weight gain vs potential for strength gains. I know that novice trainees need to consume enough calories to recover properly so that they can continue increasing their lifts, and for underweight skinny guys like me this will result in a substantial gain in bodyweight. Overweight novice trainees don't need to gain as much weight, and this is because they've got extra energy stored (as fat) in their body as it is...so they just allow for their body composition to change to have more muscle and less fat. Right? Which would mean that, for the purposes of gaining strength, it's better to be a fat guy than a skinny guy, even if they have the same baseline strength levels. Right?

And so, to get to my question...should I be gaining as much weight as possible right now, even though I can't start training for another two days? I suppose it's irrelevant over the long term, but suppose instead of having to wait two days I had to wait a week. Would it make a difference then?

Also, how much should I be looking to weigh by the end of SS? I know Rip has made fun of people asking this question, but I need a ballpark answer so I have something to aim for. 70sbig.com seems to be obsessed with being 200lbs (an "adult male")...is this a reasonable goal? More? Less?

I'd say 40 pounds of muscular bodyweight over the next year would suit you pretty damn well. you'd officially be an 'adult male' in 70's big parlance.

i doubt eating a whole bunch now would have much of an effect on your training in two days (or two weeks for that matter). all that rant about is it better to be fat or skinny pre-SS is just conjecture and interwebz argument.

eat big and train hard. you'll be amazed at what happens.

I was once in your shoes as a weak ass 155 lber trying to do the program during tennis season. I kept wondering, "why won't I get stronger?"

Then I stopped being an ignorant fuck, started eating 5,000 calories a day, gained 20 pounds (still going), and put on 100 pounds on my squat, 150 on my deadlift, 50 on my bench, 30 on my overhead press, and 70 on my power clean, with barely any fat at all.

A 20 year-old doing this program won't get fat at all and stands to gain more muscle than you wouldn't think possible

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterLibby View Post
    I was once in your shoes as a weak ass 155 lber...Then I stopped being an ignorant fuck
    Do you mean to imply that I'm an ignorant fuck? On MY log??!? You, sir, are out of line. I challenge you to a duel.

Seriously though, thanks for the replies. I guess I should just shut up and train then? And maybe get a job...milk is expensive in Canada.

Get a cow. It's like milk on tap.

Just got home from vacation, and was pleased to find a coupon book from McDonalds in the mail! It is most definately a sign.

02/01/10

Squat: 155 lbs
    Bench: 115 lbs
    Deadlift: 225 lbs

Weekly Weigh In: 166 lbs, wearing jeans, belt, shoes, and with a bowl of cereal in me...so probably closer to 160.

Lifts felt good. I'm planning on putting up a form check sometime next week, as soon as I find a camera and a day where my gym isn't too busy (probably next weekend). Drank 1/3 gallon of milk today, and planning on building up to the full gallon over the course of this week. I bought 2% lactose free milk since I'm lactose intolerant. I've tried using lactase pills with regular milk, and they don't seem to help too much, whereas lactose free milk doesn't give me any problems. BUT, a gallon of regular whole milk can be purchased for $4 at one of the grocery stores near me, which is a very good deal up here in the Great White North. I might give this a try, since you can't beat that price.

Edit: make that 1/2 a gallon of milk today
    Last edited by PVC; 01-02-2010 at 11:36 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    04/01/10

Squat: 165 lbs
    Press: 95 lbs
    Power Cleans: 55 lbs

Squat felt good, and the guy who worked in with me told me I was below parallel. Press was a little bit difficult, but I made all the reps. Power cleans were garbage, and I SERIOUSLY need to practice them. The gym near my home that I was at today doesn't have bumper plates, and there weren't enough plates left to stack up since they were all being used, so I kind of did hang-cleans from 9" above the floor. I know it's not ideal. But I go back to college on the 11th, and their gym is quite good for a commercial gym. It's got a cardio room, a machine room, and a free-weight room with 4 squat racks, 3 bench press benches/stands, a deadlifting/powercleaning platform, and 45 lb bumper plates. AND they allow chalk. So I'll be able to fix my cleans soon, but until then I'm just going to have to do my best with what I've got.

Eating: Today I'll be eating about 3000 dry calories, plus 2/3 GOMAD. I figure if I can get to 3500 dry calories with full GOMAD I'll be set for a few weeks, so I've got a goal to work towards. Also, I'm sticking to 2% lactose free milk, but I'm adding chocolate milk syrup to it. This adds about 100 calories of sugar to every glass (500 ml), so my GOMAD will be around 2800 calories. I've noticed that I'm taking in quite a bit of sugar in my diet, but I'm following the advice from 70sbig.com and ignoring macronutrient ratios as long as I get enough protein. Which means that I can use up this whole sheet of McDonalds coupons for my lunches without feeling like a fatty

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast