starting strength gym

Thread: Slippery Bench

Default Slippery Bench

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I bench with a large arch and need to get my traps planted firmly in order to stay tight. I workout in my garage and my girl got me a new bench. Unless I'm lightly sweating, it has no friction and I slide off it in the middle of a set; very distracting. I can't bench in a shirt because it makes it even worse. Of course I've tried chalk and even non slip drawer liner. You guys have any suggestions?

You mentioned you've tried chalk. I've had some success with chalk but I've really had to slather it on the bench. Would putting some water on your back help?

I use the rubber drawer liner myself, and I've seen guys use chalk on their backs at the comps. If you keep it sanitized, you might take some 120 grit sandpaper and sand the upper end of the bench pad enough to rough it up. Just tape a square so the edges look neat and intentional.
    Test a spot on the bottom first, of course.
    Second thought just came to me...glue 2 pieces of sandpaper together and you have a DEFINITE no-slip pad!

Thanks guys; appreciate the replies. I don't know what it is with this bench, but it gets really annoying when you're trying a rep max only to have your traps slide down and lose tightness mid rep.