starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on the glute ham raise

Default Question on the glute ham raise

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been reading alot about the glute ham raise lately, and everyone seems to think its a great exercise. It's also a movement that doesn't put a lot of pressure on my hip joint (not like a squat, or a deadlift anyway). Wich is a big advantage to me, as I have avascular necrosis in my left femur head.

The problem is that I cannot find any good equipment to do this exercise. I've tried quite a few variations of the so called "poor mans GHR" or "natural GHR", wathever people call there hamstring curls. But I haven't found a solid way to do them both safe and effectively.
    The only version that doesn't hurt my kneecaps is the one where I put my shins on a bench (and not the knees), and my feet locked under a heavy barbell.

Buying a GHR machine is not an option, because it would cost me over 1000 euros (I live in Belgium btw).

On to the actual question:
    Would it be possible to do a standard glute ham raise (thighs pivoting on padding) with a roman chair like this on?
    (after adding a footplate ofcourse)

In other words, how essential is the rounded padding you see in specialized GHR benches, compared to flat padding like this?

edit: an additional question

Top position of the GHR

Why doesn't he fall? There is no support below the knees...
    Last edited by Flying Fox; 12-31-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Have you tried doing it on the floor with something protecting your knees and someone holding onto your feet? There should be at least one option available for you if you look into different methods (search on youtube).

Quote Originally Posted by Force Production View Post
    Have you tried doing it on the floor with something protecting your knees and someone holding onto your feet?
    Hurts my knee caps, even with some padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Production View Post
    There should be at least one option available for you if you look into different methods (search on youtube).
    Yes, this one:
    The only version that doesn't hurt my kneecaps is the one where I put my shins on a bench (and not the knees), and my feet locked under a heavy barbell.

Fox, I do almost all of my "bootleg" GHRs on a roman chair like the one in your 1st photo, because that's what I have access to. They do feel different than standard GHRs in that you don't get as strong a contraction in the hamstring where it meets the knee. That's probably because your body is in position to do more of a "leg curl" at the end of the movement on the standard apparatus than you will be on the roman chair. Nonetheless, make sure you flex at the knee and raise up like the guy in the 2nd photo, otherwise, it's not much different than a back extension. I'd also suggest having the pad hit lower on the thighs than you would for a back extension, probably about 3" or so.

Both movements seem to activate the hamstrings at the glutes pretty effectively.-

FWIW - I've done GHRs on a lat pulldown machine with feet under the knee pads. They're ok, but I think the roman chair is better.

As for the guy not falling, either the pad is curved and supporting him in a way we can't see from the photo, or he is Superman. Actually, I think he's pushing his feet backward into the plate, which pushes his thighs forward into the pad and braces him from falling.

Hi,

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but if cost is the only reason for avoiding a GHR machine and you're at all handy with a jigsaw you may be interested in these plans to build your own - http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=14064&page=1

Shouldn't cost a great deal to build and it looks reasonably straight-forward.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    Fox, I do almost all of my "bootleg" GHRs on a roman chair like the one in your 1st photo, because that's what I have access to. They do feel different than standard GHRs in that you don't get as strong a contraction in the hamstring where it meets the knee. That's probably because your body is in position to do more of a "leg curl" at the end of the movement on the standard apparatus than you will be on the roman chair. Nonetheless, make sure you flex at the knee and raise up like the guy in the 2nd photo, otherwise, it's not much different than a back extension. I'd also suggest having the pad hit lower on the thighs than you would for a back extension, probably about 3" or so.

Both movements seem to activate the hamstrings at the glutes pretty effectively.-

FWIW - I've done GHRs on a lat pulldown machine with feet under the knee pads. They're ok, but I think the roman chair is better.

As for the guy not falling, either the pad is curved and supporting him in a way we can't see from the photo, or he is Superman. Actually, I think he's pushing his feet backward into the plate, which pushes his thighs forward into the pad and braces him from falling.
    Thank you for the feedback. This really helps me.
    Do you have a foot plate on your roman chair?

Good theories on the guy not falling. The superman theory seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Hi,

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but if cost is the only reason for avoiding a GHR machine and you're at all handy with a jigsaw you may be interested in these plans to build your own - http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=14064&page=1

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Nick.
    I have "built" my own bench press boards, with relative succes. But I'm afraid my DIY skills end there.

Thanks for the link. I've been thinking that a GHR or reverse hyper should be very simple to build - it's interesting to see how someone else approached the construction.

He isn't falling/sliding off of the pad in the original picture because his toes are pressing into the foot plate, driving his thigh into the pad.

It's friction/calves.

starting strength coach development program
    What kinds of reps and sets do u guys use with these? I have a sloppy ass and none existent hamstrings? I kust joined a gym with this and a reverse hyper. Can I do them on squat day after squats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast