starting strength gym

Thread: Low back tightness

Default Low back tightness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last week on chirstmas I believe I was doing Deadlifts on the ss workout. I think I was maxing out on those 5 reps, in order to complete them I used to take long rest periods. Now I know I was wrong and that is a set of five but you always have to reset back into position, correct? BeacusE of that I am using a lot less weight that I did one day. Well back to the thing. After I finished the workout I experienced a headache that lasted for probably am hour. Then the next day I started to feel the tightness in my lower back. I researched on Here and coach Rip said it may be the erectors outgrowing the fascia around them? so I stopped training until yesterday. I didn't follow the ss workout though I jut wanted to find out if I would be able to squat or dead without pain etc. So I did. Iwas able to squat 210x4. I couldn't complete the set but that usually happens when I take some time off. On the deadlifts I just went up to 135. Didn't feel anything wither just the tightness. I didn't want to go higher om the weight. I still feel the tightness on my lower back and I dot know whether it's that fascia rhing or maybe something else? Any suggestions ideas? Some stretches? Thanks for your time

I wouldn't stop training. Maybe reduce your work load a little for a few days, but keep working out. You probably overdid it on the deadlifts, and just need an extra day or so to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarshredda99 View Post
    I still feel the tightness on my lower back and I dot know whether it's that fascia rhing or maybe something else? Any suggestions ideas? Some stretches?
    I think the prescription Rip suggested was a vigorous massage by an evil therapist. Have a few drinks before you go. Also, you could try laying on a foam roller or a tennis ball or billiard ball and working through it that way if you are a DIY type.

The headache was probably just a tension headache from stiff traps which will also go away with massage or tennis ball/foam rolling.

I often get those periods of disorientation that you mention - they suck when you were planning on staying home that day to study. I found that when I get those and go for a walk they quickly go away as I go about my day.

With regards to the tightness, I don't think it suddenly happens overnight and is something that occurs after consistent training and growth. I've had that also for the past few months and it only just occurred to me that I've somehow been cured of it, haven't experienced any tightness for a few days. Maybe it's 'cos I' only 19, but in my experience just carry on training like normal, use sleeves and belts when you need them and it should go away.

From my rudimentary understanding, if you were to stop training you'd no longer provide a stimulus to the fascia or the belly, which could mean the same problem when you start back up.

From your original post I get the impression that this happened for the first time the day after your heavy cluster of singles, so it could just be DOMS or even an injury rather than something more chronic like the lumbar 'compartment' syndrome that there seems to be an epidemic of lately. :P

Quote Originally Posted by khal View Post
    From your original post I get the impression that this happened for the first time the day after your heavy cluster of singles, so it could just be DOMS or even an injury rather than something more chronic like the lumbar 'compartment' syndrome that there seems to be an epidemic of lately. :P
    I agree with this - sometimes tightness / soreness in your muscles isn't anything sinister, it's just fatigue from lifting relatively heavy weights. And if you never train through this type of soreness, you never make any progress.

As Webbie suggests, myofascial release might be worthwhile - essentially just lie down flat on your back on a hard floor and place a tennis ball, baseball or something similar under the spinal erectors (not directly onto the spine itself), and relax onto it, then move around slowly so the ball massages the muscle. It'll be quite uncomfortable.

starting strength coach development program
    Plenty of good information on here. Thank you guys I'll try the massage and I'm going to keep up with my training. Thanks