starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength Imbalance - right arm stronger than left

Default Strength Imbalance - right arm stronger than left

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I think this was discussed before but i wanted to ask about strength imbalances between my right and left arm. My right arm has always naturally been stronger then my left, but i thought that with time it would definitely even itself out (i think that was what Rippetoe said to someone who asked about this before, but i can't remember). I really focus on pushing with my left more to try and even it out, but i'm getting to the stage where i feel it is hindering my progress. For example in the bench press today, i was doing 60kg and in maybe the 4th or 5th rep, my left arm would begin to rise up a lot slower than my right and finally causing me to miss the rep. My right can handle the weight but my left can't. I don't want this to screw up my progress, but it doesn't seem to be evening out. A friend told me to try some one handed dumbell exercises to work on that left arm more, but i didn't want to fuck with the program so i just said "thanks" and left it at there. I'm considering doing something like that now, but i don't have access to any dumbells until i get back to my uni gym at the start of march. I only have my power rack and barbell. What should i do?

Every time you stall, it is because something is holding you back. In your case, it is your left arm. So yes, this will hinder your progress, but in the same way that any weakness will. The way to overcome weakness is to train! So by pressing and benching, you'll make both arms stronger, as you already have done.

It may be that your left arm will catch up to the right arm, or the right arm may stay slighter stronger. In the latter case, by increasing the strength of both arms, you will be decreasing the percentage difference between the two. If you can press 2.5kg more with one arm than the other when your pressing 40kg, you might have a cause for concern. But if your pressing 100kg, who cares if there is a very small imbalance? Both arms are strong.

Confuzzl If you are letting the bar go up crooked you are probably reinforcing an inefficient neural habit. I have a workout partner who has played base for the last 30+yrs and he is extremely right handed. He was also benching more with his right and letting his left "catch-up" at the end of the lift. He asked me to yell "left" when I saw the bar go up in a crooked fashion. He also had pain in his right shoulder...the "left" cue cured the crooked bar and the sore right shoulder in about a month. See if you can have someone watch you and remind your to push with your left. He had to *think* left, left, left for the first few weeks to push the bar up evenly on both sides. He had the same problem on the press but not to the same degree.

I am having the same problem with the Press, my left arm caused me to miss my last rep at 100 lbs. I also have a weird thing where i can dislocate my left shoulderblade, and it sticks way out when I press heavy. I'm not sure how to correct it other than focusing on keeping them back tight, but when I get near my press limit that goes right out the window.

Burritos will also help.

Sounds like you need to start masturbating with the left hand too.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    A friend told me to try some one handed dumbell exercises to work on that left arm more, but i didn't want to fuck with the program so i just said "thanks" and left it at there.
    I think if you look at the bench section of starting strength, you'll find that Rippetoe actually likes dumbbell bench more than barbell bench, because the dumbbell bench trains more shit. The only reason it doesn't replace the bench in the program is that it's harder for novices without kinesthetic sense to get the dumbbell bench correct than it is to get a barbell bench right.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackJunkie View Post
    I think if you look at the bench section of starting strength, you'll find that Rippetoe actually likes dumbbell bench more than barbell bench, because the dumbbell bench trains more shit. The only reason it doesn't replace the bench in the program is that it's harder for novices without kinesthetic sense to get the dumbbell bench correct than it is to get a barbell bench right.
    Bullshit right there. Dumbbells are impractical from a loading standpoint. The barbell bench is superior in this regard. Your confusing this with what he said regarding weighted push-ups, which is that they train the abdominals and other spinal support musculature, as well as the muscles of the lower quarter, at the same time that they train the chest and triceps. They are difficult to load in a practical manner, same as the dumbbell bench press; therefore, again, bench is the superior choice.

However, before I get flamed or misinterpreted, I'm not saying that you shouldn't ever include dumbbell bench press in your routine. It's just another tool in the toolbox, and as such, it should be used at the right time and place.

-Stacey

Confuzzled, ask yourself this: is this problem something that can be handled with a simple deload and paying strict attention to pressing evenly with both arms as you start to add weight back? If so, do that, and don't introduce extra exercises or variability into your routine until absolutely necessary.

If the problem presents itself again, then consider using special means.

-Stacey
    Last edited by nisora33; 01-01-2010 at 03:42 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Burritos are definitely your best bet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast