starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Question

Default Deadlift Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First let me say, sorry if this is in the book, but I left my book at the office. My deadlifts are starting to get heavy, at least for me. On my last couple of pulls in my work set I am getting some pulling in my pec area near my arm pit. Am I trying to pull with my arms you think? Thoughts? Thanks for any help

To me, and I have absolutely no credentials to back it up, it sounds like you're squeezing the shit out of the bar with your whole upper body. Like maybe your wasting energy by contracting muscles that should be relaxed so energy can be used more efficiently in the muscles doing the work.

I wonder if you have the proper grip on the bar for DL? Do you grip the bar at the first joints on your fingers as shown in SS or do you grip more in the pad of your hand?(This would cause calluses to form on your hand)

If you grip with the pad of your hand, i'd be willing to bet that switching to the lower grip(more of the fingers than your hand) would solve it. You'd be much less likely to "squeeze" your arms together that way.

Also, make sure your arms aren't bent. If they are that will allow for more chest contraction since you would be able to turn your elbows out a bit.

But, there really is no telling. I'm sure there are a ton of ways this could be happening, lol.

Can you post a video? Without a video, my SWAG would be some form of bent arms. You can DL with bent arms at easy weights but when it gets heavy the weight will straighten your arms for you (if you are holding an angle) and that's where pain ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by staypuft View Post
    First let me say, sorry if this is in the book, but I left my book at the office. My deadlifts are starting to get heavy, at least for me. On my last couple of pulls in my work set I am getting some pulling in my pec area near my arm pit. Am I trying to pull with my arms you think? Thoughts? Thanks for any help

If I understand you right, I have experienced nearly the exact same thing. On heavy deadlifts I sometimes get a pulling, almost strain on the outside of the pecs. Not sure what causes it other than the weight being really heavy. Never really had a major problem from it, just kind of weird.

How long have you been deadlifting?

I've never seen nor heard of this but just had a thought to throw out for discussion. Maybe what you're feeling is the result of your muscles contracting to keep the bar close to your body? Its well known that you can think to "pull" with your lats to keep the bar close to your body (not to mention even if you don't consciously think to do it, your lats will fire hard regardless), so maybe you're just contracting your arms down and in a little bit, towards the center of your body, which would fire the pecs. Who knows, I'm just spitballin' here.

starting strength coach development program
    Since these are heavy sets for you, are you using a mixed grip? If so, is the pulling on the arm that is supinated?

I've felt something like this before when in this situation.