starting strength gym

Thread: Realistic Goals for the New Year/SS

Default Realistic Goals for the New Year/SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,

So I'm planning out my goals for the New Year and my SS program. What are realistic goals/gains that I can expect? I know situations differ, so a barpark estimate is cool. I'm 6'1", male, 200lbs.

Current Loads:

Squat: 195lbs
    Bench: 140lbs
    Deadlift: 200
    Powercleans: Still training the movement.

I'm drinking a GOMAD and planning on eating a ton throughout the program. I'm a relatively lean guy who can stand to gain some more muscle. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Don't view SS like that. I've learned not to map out SS results because it's always come back to bite me on the ass. It would usually make me greedy or seem to cause a stall (maybe due to the greediness).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Don't view SS like that. I've learned not to map out SS results because it's always come back to bite me on the ass. It would usually make me greedy or seem to cause a stall (maybe due to the greediness).
    I've had the exact opposite experience.

I find that planning it out forces me not to skip workouts once the weight starts getting really heavy, and keeps me motivated to reach the goals.

Then, once I've reached all the goals I set for the weights, I take a week light, maybe even off if the cycle was particularly grueling, to map out my goals for the next 6-8 weeks and then go at it again.

I can't yet speak to how a year's worth of goals should look; I'm still too early to know. My own approach was to go in looking for some short-term goals (315 lb squat, for example) while I kept the bigger picture in the back of my mind (500 lb deadlift, one day). I expected to push through at least ten weeks of linear gains. There was no way to know how far I could really go until I did it, but it's turning out to be a fair minimum assumption. About two weeks in, I sat down and did some math on how far that would take the weights if progress stayed consistent - 15 lbs per week on squat, 15 lbs per month on bench and press, etc. It found it really motivating. It was just a rough guess and didn't account for unforeseen stalls and schedule disruptions. But I'm now closing out week 8 and the short-term goals are looking within reach for early 2010, just as I'd hoped. Next time you get a minute, you might try sitting down to add up how your gains would progress in the next two months if it all goes smoothly. It's a guess, and only a short-term one, but it can help provide an immediate focus around which you can build the long-term goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    City makes a valid point too. I wouldn't bet my firstborn on the half-ass prognostications I made up as a rank novice, and I wouldn't stake my ego on it either. But if it helps you get motivated without becoming deadly serious about it, it could be useful.