starting strength gym

Thread: Dave Tate vs Mark Ripptoe bench tech

Default Dave Tate vs Mark Ripptoe bench tech

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0
    in the video, the technique is allot diifrent of what Rip wrote in ss.
    I wonder, which of the pressing tech's is better for getting strong? Rip's or Tate's?
    Last edited by skywave23; 01-01-2010 at 06:39 PM.

To understand the differences between the two you have to look at what population the respective techniques are being used for. It isn't fair looking for which will get you stronger over the other. They both will accomplish that goal, as both men have proven that fact many a time. The most important thing is to remember Tate's method is geared more towards, no pun intended, gear. Tate has over the years tweaked his technique to take advantage of the gear he would use and that is the technique preferable for geared competitions. Nothing wrong with either. Decide if you'll be competing in a geared format or raw and you have your answer. You should get Starting Strength and read the bench chapter.
    Last edited by tnumrych; 01-01-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Indeed, Tate has massively switched opinions on Bench Press technique.

Also remember that Tate is a powerlifter speaking to other powerlifters.

The method of moving the most weight is not the best for improving strength nor is it the safest/healthiest for the body.

If I was a raw beginner trying to get bigger and stronger, I'd just listen to Rip.

If I was a competitive powerlifter with 10 years experience and lifting in a shirt, I'd be more inclined to listen to Dave.

There's not an instant right/wrong answer here.

In the middle, with ten years lifting but new to PL'ing and wanting to lift au naturel, I ordered Rip's suggested Practical Programming. Just made more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    If I was a raw beginner trying to get bigger and stronger, I'd just listen to Rip.

If I was a competitive powerlifter with 10 years experience and lifting in a shirt, I'd be more inclined to listen to Dave.

Seconded.

Again: Things Change As You Get Stronger. By the time you're benching double bodyweight and squatting triple bodyweight, you will have begun using slightly different cues than the ones Rip suggested for when you were starting out. Things change even more when you throw in increasingly radical gear. Different techniques on top of different cues. (People think gear makes lifting easier. Just the opposite; it puts your body literally underneath weights way over max and complicates training.)

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post

Thirded.

To be honest I don't think there's a whole lot of difference. Even if you follow Dave's cues, you probably won't end up tucking as much as he says because when you're unequipped and lifting a loaded bar it just feels wrong to over-tuck. The only real difference I can see is that Dave recommends a big arch whereas Rip recommends a more natural arch, and I don't think that's too significant at all. Either will get you strong, Dave's way works better in a shirt and out of a shirt they will both look pretty similar. Just my opinion.

There are things to learn from both of them, for sure. Rip has said repeatedly that he wasn't an amazing bencher, so sprinkling in a bit of advice from more successful benchers won't kill you as long as you're making healthy progress. However, I agree with what was said above - for a noob lifter, Rip's advice is the most thought out, consistent, and easiest to understand, IMO.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
    To be honest I don't think there's a whole lot of difference. Even if you follow Dave's cues, you probably won't end up tucking as much as he says because when you're unequipped and lifting a loaded bar it just feels wrong to over-tuck. The only real difference I can see is that Dave recommends a big arch whereas Rip recommends a more natural arch, and I don't think that's too significant at all. Either will get you strong, Dave's way works better in a shirt and out of a shirt they will both look pretty similar. Just my opinion.
    Yeah. I made my comment before I watched the video. I was expecting it to be something which was pretty clearly aimed at shirted benchers, when it's not. Dave is a class act.