starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer and it's negative effects on training

Default Beer and it's negative effects on training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've heard that beer will do lots of harm to your testosterone levels(which is pretty ironic) and destroy protein synthesis plus many negative effects on strength training.

Is this true? And what do you guys think about this? Best if avoided altogether?

I've never heard that before in my life. Is this just something you hear from people you know, or are there legitimate scientific sources on it?

if you do a search on the internet there's quite a lot of material supporting this. I quit drinking 6 months ago, not for this reason but because it was interfering with my recovery - I just wasnt sleeping deeply enough. If I were younger I might be able to get away with it but at 45 I feel a hell of a lot better without it and dont miss the drink at all. got a milk gut instead of a beer gut though.

Quote Originally Posted by zendefone View Post
    I've heard that beer will do lots of harm to your testosterone levels(which is pretty ironic) and destroy protein synthesis plus many negative effects on strength training.

Is this true? And what do you guys think about this? Best if avoided altogether?
    Someone posted this on another forum:

acute alcohol intoxication... markedly decreased the rate of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle, heart, intestine, bone, and skin
    Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 277: E268-E276, 1999;

Google protein synthesis alcohol if you want to know more.

Default Moderation

I'm not an ascetic. People drink beer. They have for a while. Sucrose is flat bad for you, but I'm sure as hell not giving up my ice cream either. Now if you're a drunk, or are sensitive to alcohol, then yeah, cut it out. For most of us though It's hardly gonna be the make or break factor in our training. And fuck not having any beer. The key, as in most things, is not overdoing it. Dan John is a big wine proponent, but it get the sneaking suspiscion it's because he
    likes wine. If you're drinking enough beer to throw your testosterone levels into the shit can you probibly have a bigger problem on your hands than it's horomonal affects.....
    Is this the new year hangover talking?

I train on tuesday / thursday / saturday.

Well, I hit the gym on the morning of New Year's Eve and trained according to my novice ss routine. I got wasted that evening by drinking tons of beer. When I got home, I remember drinking a lot milk and water before going to bed. I couldn't sleep that well and I couldn't sleep long enough. Yesterday I had a hangover almost for the whole day.

Today, I hit the gym again and I had doubts because of the alcohol and lack of good rest. But I sticked to the routine and increased the weights without any problem. But I also ate like a pig on those days, it probably helped as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I train on tuesday / thursday / saturday.

Well, I hit the gym on the morning of New Year's Eve and trained according to my novice ss routine. I got wasted that evening by drinking tons of beer. When I got home, I remember drinking a lot milk and water before going to bed. I couldn't sleep that well and I couldn't sleep long enough. Yesterday I had a hangover almost for the whole day.

Today, I hit the gym again and I had doubts because of the alcohol and lack of good rest. But I sticked to the routine and increased the weights without any problem. But I also ate like a pig on those days, it probably helped as well.
    Out of curiosity, how old are you?

I really did not notice a problem with recovery until my early to mid 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by zendefone View Post

This is true with with all beers except for Guinness. Drink up!

I'm only in my mid-20s, but I can't get fucked-up without regretting it for days and throwing away a weeks worth of training. For me, like ZKP mentioned, it's just about moderation. I love beer, especially good beer, so I have one almost everyday, but I rarely (maybe a handful of times a year) drink to the point of intoxication. Lots of things fuck up your testosterone (e.g., men in serious relationships have been shown to have lower test levels than single men), and men have been drinking beer for millennia, so no need to sweat about a beer or two.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Out of curiosity, how old are you?

I really did not notice a problem with recovery until my early to mid 30's.
    I'm 24. That probably helped with the recovery. In addition I'm only 7 weeks into the novice program and I didn't stall on anything except squats yet. Probably that plays a role as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast