starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head down on squat and other assorted questions.

Default Head down on squat and other assorted questions.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok so as everyone has been commenting on my head not staying down during squats, i finally decided to man up and concentrate on getting it right. And for the first time ever i fell backwards into the uprights of my power rack when coming back up on my 3rd rep of my workset (103kg). I managed to keep my head down the whole time, but i felt that i was coming up more backwards rather than straight up. I proceeded to deload to 92.5kg to work on this, and i noticed that with my head down i still had a tendency to move backwards a fiar tad while moving up.

I want to try 103kg again next workout on wednesday, but i was hoping for some help as to how to fix this problem. I suspect it is because i have weak quads which is causing me to fall backwards but i'm not that great on the anatomy side of things.

Here's 2 or 3 reps of 92.5kg (camera died before i could finish all 5 reps)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIpvOnaxdrk
    You can see some of that backwards movement

And if you have the time please check out my press at 39.5kg today.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdCHc1xGmhc
    Hoping that my form has improved from last time and i'm not leaning too far back.

And because i have difficulty getting the 2nd pull of the power clean correct, i've gone back to doing 5x3 hang cleans instead for now until i get the hang of it (no pun intended). Could you guys take a look at a set of these for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWvIgQ4h3Uc

Your squat looks pretty damn perfect to me.

I like the dangling bags on your press! - You do realise the instability will make it harder? Ive been doing some pressing with a broomstick with 2 sacks of rice on each end while the gym was closed. Really tough!

Really? Maybe it's just because it's lighter weight or the angle of the vid. I swear i felt i was moving back.

And about the press, yeah. It's just a bad thing i only got two 0.5kg and two 0.25kg collars. If i could get a pair of 0.5kg more than i could cover all increases of 0.5kg. So i ended up having to make do with those bag of coins. I usually try to avoid that situation but if i jump too much i can't make the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Really? Maybe it's just because it's lighter weight or the angle of the vid. I swear i felt i was moving back.

And about the press, yeah. It's just a bad thing i only got two 0.5kg and two 0.25kg collars. If i could get a pair of 0.5kg more than i could cover all increases of 0.5kg. So i ended up having to make do with those bag of coins. I usually try to avoid that situation but if i jump too much i can't make the reps.
    Confuzzled, buddy, your press and squats look pretty good to me. Grab just a pinch more depth on those squats. Otherwise, squat form is showing a huge improvement. The last rep of your press got ugly only because you touched the bar too low on your chest and had a larger lever arm to overcome on the way back up for that rep.

-Stacey

Ok maybe i was just doubting myself on the squats. I'll go for 103kg next time again and see how it turns out. And that depth thing is really pissing me off. I used to be heaps deep and now i can't break parallel sigh. I would have thought the weight would squash me down, but maybe i really need some good WL shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Ok maybe i was just doubting myself on the squats. I'll go for 103kg next time again and see how it turns out. And that depth thing is really pissing me off. I used to be heaps deep and now i can't break parallel sigh. I would have thought the weight would squash me down, but maybe i really need some good WL shoes.
    Try a closer stance next workout. It will really affect your depth as it did mine.

Most improved squat of the decade

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    Try a closer stance next workout. It will really affect your depth as it did mine.
    Mmm excellent advice. I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    Most improved squat of the decade
    Aww shucks

Confuzzled, I've never seen any video of you from the front or back, so I can't really comment on your stance width. But to determine if your stance is fucking up your depth, try videoing maybe your third and fourth warm up sets for us, really striving to hit full depth on those, then film your actual work sets and see if your depth gets shallower as the weight gets heavier. If it does, this would indicate something other than an incorrect stance width to me.

-S.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok i'll try that. I'll try to take some vids from the back angle too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast