starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist wraps

Default Wrist wraps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking to get some wrist wraps. Anyone have any input? I was thinking of getting the normal EFS wraps, but not sure about size (60cm or 80cm). Also wondering if they are the best option. I am at about a 175 press and 275 bench for 1rm if that makes a difference.

I prefer smaller wraps. I have some really long inzers and some APT 12" wraps that I got free using the shopping code PLWATCH at checkout. I actually prefer the smaller APT wraps. Im not sure what the width is though.

Thanks man. I've seen alot of good reviews on the APT wraps, specifically the Black Mambas. I don't think I need a ton of support currently so the 12" would probably suffice. I know you're pressing/benching a good deal more than me so if they work for you they should work for me.

Just ordered the 12" Black Mamba wraps. I'll post once I get them with my first impressions. Having never used wraps I am interested to see how they help.

My question is a little off topic but I didn't want to create new thread.

My question is: Do you consider wrists wraps for bench press training a crutch used to add pounds to the lift like the knee wraps during squats?

I ask this because I hurt my wrists a little during a bench press session today and I wonder if it's wise for a beginner to use wraps?
    Last edited by Rusi; 04-15-2011 at 04:42 AM.

I tape my wrist because I fucked it up doing a clean a while ago. Sometimes I tape both wrists, the other is from a football injury from a hundred years ago. I simply use the old school athletic tape approach and get it good and snug. This allows me quite a bit of comfort and support. I can press or bench without pain and take it as a good thing. If your wrist pain keeps you from progressing or training go ahead and wrap.

Most likely the reason he is experiencing wrist pain is because after his first rep (or even his first rep) the bar rolls back into his fingers as opposed to staying locked and in line with the forearm. This in essence puts a crapton of stress on the wrist when their isn't supposed to be and basically creates a shearing point.

Make a conscious effort to re-lock your wrists at the top of each rep. I would consider wraps a crutch if the reason is that the wrists can not be kept locked out. People use wraps for different reasons, but I would say fix the technique first then worry about wraps later.

My .02 for what its worth.

I just bought the EFS 80 cm wraps and used them for the first time pressing on Wednesday (187.5 lbs 2 x 5, 8). I loved the added stability.

I may be tightening them a bit much, because my hands were getting close to purple after each set, but I think that might be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusi View Post
    My question is a little off topic but I didn't want to create new thread.

My question is: Do you consider wrists wraps for bench press training a crutch used to add pounds to the lift like the knee wraps during squats?

I ask this because I hurt my wrists a little during a bench press session today and I wonder if it's wise for a beginner to use wraps?
    I want you to put 10% more on your max 1rm bench and tell me if you can lift it.

Now do the same with a pair of metal double black knee wraps and see if you can at about 50 or so lbs on your squat.

BIG difference. I just think wraps help keep your wrist in line with your forearm. Thats about it. I have never though OH MY GOD LOOK AT HOW MUCH MORE I CAN BENCH. Like I did when I tried knee wraps. Kind of like a belt for your wrist. Doesnt give you more pop out the bottom or better lockout. Just keeps your wrist from getting sore under heavy load.

I actually use a pair of cheapo harbinger wrist wraps from Dick's Sporting Goods. Which feel like nothing more than an ace bandage with less tension. I just kind of cast my wrist and bottom of hand for benchs and presses, and wrap my wrist for squats.

starting strength coach development program
    I use these Inzer wrist wraps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast