starting strength gym

Thread: Scapula pain on squats

Default Scapula pain on squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,

I've been having issues in the past couple of weeks with my scapula, or something very near them in the upper back, hurting like hell when I unrack the bar when I squat. This is also carrying over to other exercises, and as such I haven't been able to deadlift/PC without pain. It hurts when I press as well.

It feels like the pain is right where the bottom of the scapula is. If you squeeze your scapulae back and down that's where I'm hurting.

Unfortunately, I cannot post a video until next week. In the meantime though, has anyone ever had any experience with this? I've always had trouble getting the bar on my back without it hurting something. I've tried following the basic directions in BBT and also more complicated techniques but I haven't had much success.

I've noticed in a lot of videos people just walk right up to the bar and unrack it without much issue. How do you set up to unrack the bar? Has anyone had similar issues before?

I know a vid is best but unfortunately I won't be able to get one until next week.

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan,

Just a thought, are you tightening up your back prior to picking up the bar, or do you pick up the bar and then try to set your upper back? If not that, then perhaps the bar is not in the correct position on your back and this is causing problems. If the pain is towards the bottom of your scapula, maybe the bar is too low.

I tighten up before I unrack. I've tried just moving the elbows back (flexing the posterior delts) and raising the chest. I've also tried squeezing my scapulae down and back. Nothing seems to work.

You could be right about the bar being too low. I've been trying to get it lower recently since it seems very close to where I would put it with a high bar position.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    I tighten up before I unrack. I've tried just moving the elbows back (flexing the posterior delts) and raising the chest. I've also tried squeezing my scapulae down and back. Nothing seems to work.

You could be right about the bar being too low. I've been trying to get it lower recently since it seems very close to where I would put it with a high bar position.

Thanks for the reply.
    If you can't post a video, how about a picture of where you place the bar on your back?

Unfortunately I need to wait until my friend can come with me to the gym to take a pic, and that'll be next week. Well, maybe Saturday if he's in town.

How do the Russian powerlifters get the bar so damn low like in the following video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86GiDSr3Tc

how do you grip the bar? I use essentially no grip, it looks like Justin's grip in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqDsGhLJdnM . I tried gripping it with my entire hand once and found it very difficult to get a tight upper back. I couldn't get the table you set the bar on.

Experiment with the grip
    Last edited by stronger; 01-06-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Have you resolved your issue with this?
    If yes what was the remedy? Just training through it?
    Im experiencing exactly as you described.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Scapulas View Post
    Have you resolved your issue with this?
    If yes what was the remedy? Just training through it?
    Im experiencing exactly as you described.
    Wow this is an old thread. I don't really remember anymore but if I had to take an educated guess I switched from the standard SS thumbless squat grip to thumbs around the bar near this time. I remember that allowed me to get in better position without as much of a stretch on my shoulders.