starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever do rep max's as a novice?

Default Did you ever do rep max's as a novice?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know this is not a part of the novice programming and I'm not plunging right in to do a 3RM or anything, but I get curious sometimes, even at this early novice stage. Has anyone here every done an infrequent 3RM, or similar, during their novice phase?
    Obviously, a 3RM now should be wiped out in fairly short time by continued linear progression, but is this a landmark that would have any kind of meaning at this point in time or is there too much risk to screwing with the programming by doing this say once every six to eight weeks?
    Thanks to all for your input.

tim

What would be the point of testing it if it's only to going change next work given the rapid progression of a novice lifter?

Just use one of the 2 different formulas to calculate your 1 rep max.

Go to google, type in "one rep max calculator", enter the weight, enter the reps(5) and hit calculate.

Less exact, but it will give you an idea of what you can do and still allow you to keep to linear progression without fudgin' them up.

@JCavin - Thank you for the reply.

Agree Mr. City. I guess I was just wondering, at a personal level, if anyone bothered doing it or if you just held off until into intermediate programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    What would be the point of testing it if it's only to going change next work given the rapid progression of a novice lifter?

Im in well into intermediate and have yet to do a 1rm on any lift yet. Im fairly strong and know it so why bother risking an injury and halting my progress just to say "my squats max is 425"? pointless imo

I have tested 1RMs for my press and my deadlift, and I am still a novice (although I am doing TM for my presses). This probably wasn't helpful for my overall progress, but it was fun and made me feel good about my progress. That being said, I can understand why it is not recommended.

When I first started, I was a bench and curl jockey in backyard. So yes, I did rep maxes. Foolishly

I never did/have tested 1RM, 3RM's as a novice but I don't really see the harm.

Training is supposed to be fun and if you want to test your 1RM or 3RM every 8 weeks or so on the novice program, I say go for it.

As long as you understand (and it sounds like you do) that the max will only be valid for literally a few hours because by the very next workout you should already be stronger.
    Last edited by poopmonkey; 01-05-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Milk View Post
    Im in well into intermediate and have yet to do a 1rm on any lift yet. Im fairly strong and know it so why bother risking an injury and halting my progress just to say "my squats max is 425"? pointless imo
    it's fun.

I did a squat and deadlift 1RM test ~8 months into training, before I knew I'd have a break over the holidays. No big deal.

starting strength coach development program
    Sure. No coach to tell me not to. Fun fun fun. At the moment there's no coach to tell me not to train like a cunt either so I'm doing that. Still fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast