starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stalling on presses a question.

Default stalling on presses a question.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    i started off the new year doing the texas method for a change of pace- i needed the break mentally and physically from session to session increases-experiencing too much stress and more importantly it was the wrong stress the kind you stroke out for. i figured slow it down to weekly increments.

i'm constantly hitting a physical limitation thing with my presses-ohp max at 85 bp about 100-105.

my question is- am i better off when doing my volume day lets say 70lbs 5x5 by adding more sets like 6x5 or 7x5 if i cant move up to 80 5x5? lets say 80 i can eek out 2x5 and then stall ?

adding more sets or reps is stronger in a sense,yes? keep in mind its s/b volume day on texas method. as 80 2x5 wouldnt cut it.

its really fucking stupid cause theres a 10lb hurdle/barrier ive attacked and re attacked and i just cant physically do it. i get to that point and blam its a wall-but back off 10 lbs or so i can do 5x5+ 10lbs higher i'm lucky if i get 1 set of 5.
    ive added lat pull/curl downs and a tricep push down machine in the hopes of strengthing shoulders and arms to help with presses and bp's.

Where's the sticking point of your movement, and have you tried adding assistance movements to your routine that work the sticking point specifically.

Is this 85 pounds including the bar? Or 85 pounds on both sides of the bar?

For the first one, it's a very low stalling point for a healthy average sized male; medium sized point for a stall for a average sized female. Try The Program - gain 20 pounds of weight and take 2.5 pound increments. Extra volume - triples, pull ups etc - under these circumstances gets in the way. Calories are precious.

If the later case, my brain hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    its really fucking stupid cause theres a 10lb hurdle/barrier ive attacked and re attacked and i just cant physically do it. i get to that point and blam its a wall-but back off 10 lbs or so i can do 5x5+ 10lbs higher i'm lucky if i get 1 set of 5.
    Are you using fractional plates? Because it sounds like you aren't even using 2.5s.

Press drops off really fast for me as I increase weight and small increases are pretty vital to dialing in a weight increase to match growth. Even at 0.5 pounds each workout, that's a ~40# increase over the course of a year.

I'm confused, are you trying to jump from 70lbs to 80lbs, or trying to get there by smaller jumps? If you are failing, I would try to make much smaller jumps, like 1.25lbs at a time. And eat more.

I second the previous posters. In my case, I progressed from 125x5x5 to 142x5x5 over the last couple of months by using only 1 or 2 lb. jumps per week on the volume day. I don't think there is any way that I could handle any more weight per week without failing sets. A 10 lb. jump makes a hell of a lot of difference: I can do 142 for 5 sets of five, but I can only got 155 for 4 reps on my last intensity day.

Also, don't forget that 'anterior core' strength is as important to the press as arm and shoulder strength. I have found that doing weighted ab exercises and using a belt are key to my press progress.

What kind of progression did you make on the bench & other lifts while on SS and how much body weight did you gain while doing so ? I am by no means a expert but something doesn't seem right here . I know you said you needed a change of pace but to do it when there may be far more progress to be made under SS seems silly to me . I don't think you are ready for TM at least not in the press..

i posted a reply last nite -i have no idea where it went?

anyway- i started ss/ strong lifts hybrid in may 09- basically doing ss at 5x5 instead of 3x5.

on all lifts i started with bar plus a 5 pounder on ea side and ea session i added 5 lbs. by year end i had stalled 2x on dl and squats and on presses and bp 4x.
    now with the texas method- i want to grow on a weekly basis as i was getting overdrained trying to jump ea session with dl and squat

the press and bp always at ohp 80(can eek out 1 on occasion-during a full moon with a hail of locusts etc...) BP 100-105 same thing.

i am 42 y/o as of nov09 when i started i weighed 133lbs and im now 149-151lbs.

i do have a bum left arm-motor cordination nerve damage at birth so there is a large strength differential btwn right and left. i am not in the habit of or nor am i using it as an excuse. for ex: i cant fret a guitar or strum lefty as the motor cordination isnt there but i can hold a stick so i drummed.

i can hold a bar-i can even pull- but pressing eludes me still.

my squats im up to 165 or so, DL i just broke 200.

i will try fractional plates of 1 or 2 lbs and report back.(i see this as less than masculine approach- oh yeah i gained 1 lb on my bench-hmmmph fustrated immensely )

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    i will try fractional plates of 1 or 2 lbs and report back.(i see this as less than masculine approach- oh yeah i gained 1 lb on my bench-hmmmph fustrated immensely )
    It is not a less than masculine approach, it is a smart methodical way to increase your strength. I've managed to continually increase my press this way.

I am 41 and more "sensitive" to large jumps for the squat and dl than others. Recently, I have been adding 2.5lbs to my squats every workout, which winds up being around 25-30lbs per month. If I try to add more, I just stall. Slow and steady wins the race.......

starting strength coach development program
    I got my press up to 155 by taking 5lb jumps and then just crashed. I hadn't missed any reps but it was getting damned heavy. The next press workout I couldn't really get 157 up at all. Then the following press workout I got 155x5 then 155x3 then 155x2.
    I think this is a classic example of taking jumps that are too big that Rip talks about in PP. I'm going to follow his advice and drop my weight by 10% and work back up with 1-3 pound jumps. It's much better to take small "pussy" jumps and make constant progress than regress and hit a f%$king wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast