starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stalling on Squats and Presses and Deadlift

Default Stalling on Squats and Presses and Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all, I've been doing Starting strength original novice program for about 2-3 months now.

I'm 5''10 179lbs. 5-6k calories a day (including GOMAD).

Squat - 230lbs 3x5
    Bench - 175lbs 3x5
    Deadlift - 295lbs 1x4
    Press - 115lbs 3x5 (stalled at 120)
    PowerClean - 100lbs 5x3

My squat stalled at 230 earlier this week, but was able to get a full 3x5 on my next session. Any advice? or just keep on going as I have been.

The presses stalled twice at 120lbs, I've reset the weights. Would microloading be a good idea?

Deadlift stalled at 295 - this was more of a grip issue than anything else. Any suggestions on this?

Do you guys think I'd benefit by changing my routine to the "advanced novice" program?

Quote Originally Posted by homerj742 View Post
    My squat stalled at 230 earlier this week, but was able to get a full 3x5 on my next session. Any advice? or just keep on going as I have been.
    I believe Rip suggests somewhere (in the book?) that if you miss a set, try again up to three times before resetting. Depending on how this goes, you may want to consider moving up smaller increments so you are not constantly getting stuck.
    The presses stalled twice at 120lbs, I've reset the weights. Would microloading be a good idea?
    Yes, but microloading probably won't be necessary until you get close to the weight you reset. The idea of the reset is to give yourself some additional recovery time.
    Deadlift stalled at 295 - this was more of a grip issue than anything else. Any suggestions on this?
    Have you tried the alternate grip?
    Do you guys think I'd benefit by changing my routine to the "advanced novice" program?
    It sounds like you have some mileage to go on your current program.

Thanks for your reply, I will most definitely take all of your advice.

I've never tried the alternate grip for deadlifts. Perhaps I will read up on it and give it a try.

Thank you again!

What was your starting weight 2-3 months ago? You should have put on quite a bit of weight with all of those calories.

Are you adding weight to the bar every workout? For the squat, if you add 5 pounds per workout that is 15 pounds per week. That means you would have added 180 pounds to your squat after 12 weeks, or 120 pounds in 8 weeks.

I only ask because I don't think you should be stalling at 230.

I would also avoid the mixed grip until your deadlift gets much higher, and then only use it on your heaviest sets.

IWLFOD,

I was an idiot and began with the "strong-lifts" method of starting with just the bar.
    I've increased weights every workout by 5lbs. So yes, 15lbs a week on the squats. I now know that was a waste of time.

Agreed that 230 is way to early to be stalling. My starting weight was 154lbs and I was NOT doing GOMAD and eating only 3K calories.

I soon read all of starting strength and practical programming. and after reading this board, (when it was still on Strength mill) I started doing GOMAD and eating 5-6k calories.

Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    I would also avoid the mixed grip until your deadlift gets much higher, and then only use it on your heaviest sets.
    Just curious, what would you suggest he do, if not the alternate grip?

On a 1x5 program, I did regular grip until about 300 and had to start doing alternate grip for the last 2 reps (one each way). At 320, I was lucky to get one rep without using the alternate grip, so now I use it for the heaviest set.

Quote Originally Posted by strengthstarter View Post

On a 1x5 program, I did regular grip until about 300 and had to start doing alternate grip for the last 2 reps (one each way). At 320, I was lucky to get one rep without using the alternate grip, so now I use it for the heaviest set.
    There is no particular weight at which you should start using the alternate grip. This is highly individual, with some needing to start using it sooner rather than later. "Use it post-300 lbs." is an arbitrary recommendation. Do not use it any sooner than you have to, at most.

-Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    There is no particular weight at which you should start using the alternate grip. This is highly individual, with some needing to start using it sooner rather than later. "Use it post-300 lbs." is an arbitrary recommendation. Do not use it any sooner than you have to, at most.
    I didn't mean to suggest he wait until the weight *I* had to start using it. I just wanted to give my experience for how I incorporated it into my program, which is to put off using it as much as possible by using it for only some of my reps at first, until I had to switch all the way over for my work set.

On a kind of unrelated topic that comes back to DL grip strength and may be helpful to the OP as well, what other ways have you guys procrastinated using the alternate grip? I find that if failing on a set on deadlift, even if due to grip strength, really screws up the remainer of my workout. It's like my body has learned it can't do the weight and just refuses no matter what I change. So its a bit of a gamble to use regular grip because if I don't make it, I'll probably have to stop.

One idea I was considering was to do a back-off set somewhere between my last w/u set and my working set using regular grip. But I'm sensitive to overtraining deadlift, especially since I have some lower back issues that come and go.

I didn't mean to suggest he wait until the weight *I* had to start using it. I just wanted to give my experience for how I incorporated it into my program, which is to put off using it as much as possible by using it for only some of my reps at first, until I had to switch all the way over for my work set.
    Sorry, strengthstarter, I quoted the wrong person. And I just pulled 300 lbs. out of my ass as an example.

-s.

starting strength coach development program
    If he's not already using the hook grip, then he could try it.

-s.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast