starting strength gym

Thread: Oh boy!

Default Oh boy!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sharp back pain in the middle of my spine... fuck. This didn't happen during or directly after any squats or deads, which is a bit confusing. It happened midnight after a Monday lifting session. I do like to "correct" my back when I get up from any kind of napping/sleep. This includes popping my lower to upper back any way possible; when I did it this time, at midnight, I got up and the pain commenced (needless to say I am not doing this anymore).

Now it's not as bad as it was initially, I think. I attempted a light squat today to see how I would fair; it hurt when in the top position, but not during any of the descent. The pain is staying put, and it's not traveling down my back to my legs or anything, which is a good thing as far as I can find. If I move wrong though, the pain flashes for a moment and is gone.

Anyone have any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Weakling View Post
    Sharp back pain in the middle of my spine... fuck. This didn't happen during or directly after any squats or deads, which is a bit confusing. It happened midnight after a Monday lifting session. I do like to "correct" my back when I get up from any kind of napping/sleep. This includes popping my lower to upper back any way possible; when I did it this time, at midnight, I got up and the pain commenced (needless to say I am not doing this anymore)
    I have had lower back problems on and off and my chiropractor told me that self adjustments were as likely to make it worse as they did better, and that I should be really careful when doing that.

The chiro was able to fix it for a while and it came back, so I replaced my bed with something better (for me, this was a tempurpedic) and after some soreness after the first night or two sleeping in it, my back now feels better than ever. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Weakling View Post
    Sharp back pain in the middle of my spine... fuck. This didn't happen during or directly after any squats or deads, which is a bit confusing. It happened midnight after a Monday lifting session. I do like to "correct" my back when I get up from any kind of napping/sleep. This includes popping my lower to upper back any way possible; when I did it this time, at midnight, I got up and the pain commenced (needless to say I am not doing this anymore).

Now it's not as bad as it was initially, I think. I attempted a light squat today to see how I would fair; it hurt when in the top position, but not during any of the descent. The pain is staying put, and it's not traveling down my back to my legs or anything, which is a good thing as far as I can find. If I move wrong though, the pain flashes for a moment and is gone.

Anyone have any opinions?
    Playing it safe the first couple of workouts after a problem like this might be warranted, until you know how the "injury" will respond to having trained through it. I've had more things like this crop up than I can remember, both as a bi-product of weight training and martial arts, which I now no longer do. Usually always resolved fairly quickly. I guess in your case, the best answer anyone can give you is "it depends." You should know within a couple of workouts whether to train through it depending on whether it gets worse, stays the same, or starts to improve. If it gets worse, you'll need to change your approach from that point on.

-Stacey

Thanks for the advice.

I hope it's not wishful thinking, but with the way things are going I think it will clear up on its own. I've hurt my back before, but I don't remember any sharp pains ever being a problem. It feels like I can almost 'stretch' the source of the pain out and it does relieve it. I guess I'll know soon if it’s something serious involving a disc.

Thanks again!