starting strength gym

Thread: For those who haven't bought PP 2ed.

Default For those who haven't bought PP 2ed.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Get it. It is excellent, and a major upgrade to the 1st edition. While SS and PP1ed are very good, the second edition of Practical Programming was excellent at dealing with almost all of the questions we see here every day.

Mark goes into far more detail about adding lifts: which ones, when, and why.
    There is a more thorough outline of novice progression including examples and a more complete coverage of when things start to get heavy/recovery starts to become lacking. It has cleared up a number of questions I was having heading into the last parts of my novice phase.

In addition there is a seriously augmented section on intermediate programming, making it a great manual to have on hand when you are getting ready to navigate that.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. My wife got it for me for Christmas. From the start you learn the underlying principles and gross physiology of the programming. I'm still very much in early novice programming, but I did appreciate the material on stalling and resetting, as well as, in general, learning the differences between the novice, intermediate, and advanced/elite programs. Great companion to SS:BBT.

tim

[QUOTE=Sgsolberg;89948]Get it. It is excellent, and a major upgrade to the 1st edition. While SS and PP1ed are very good, the second edition of Practical Programming was excellent at dealing with almost all of the questions we see here every day.
    QUOTE]

A great book, and pretty much the only programming resourse Ill need for the rest of my lifting career.

The only thing I would have like to have seen was some citation and bibliography.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodninja666 View Post
    A great book, and pretty much the only programming resourse Ill need for the rest of my lifting career....
    Damn.

I thought that when I bought the first edition. Now it seems I have to spend more money.

Fucking Rippetoe.
    Last edited by TomF; 01-07-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Although i've never read the first one, the current edition is pretty awesome.

I carry a gym bag with me to work every day. I always have PP:ST and SS:BT in that bag so I can sneak in some reading whilst i'm crapping and eating.

Admittedly, there are some sections I haven't read much. Accessory exercises, the physiology section, Intermediate, Advanced...

I feel like i'm going to be working on form for all the lifts forever, lol.

Are the tables in the back excluded from the 2nd ed? They are weights to denote novice, intermediate, etc. I think Rip has since denounced them.

Sounds like I need to gift the 1st ed to a friend and then pick up the 2nd ed. for a re-read.

The tables are gone, but can be found online. The reason they're gone is that dumbasses thought that since they could lift a number that was in a certain category, they should program like a person in that category...

Problem is, a bunch of people don't read the book and just compare their numbers to the table.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgsolberg View Post
    Get it. It is excellent, and a major upgrade to the 1st edition. While SS and PP1ed are very good, the second edition of Practical Programming was excellent at dealing with almost all of the questions we see here every day.

Mark goes into far more detail about adding lifts: which ones, when, and why.
    There is a more thorough outline of novice progression including examples and a more complete coverage of when things start to get heavy/recovery starts to become lacking. It has cleared up a number of questions I was having heading into the last parts of my novice phase.

In addition there is a seriously augmented section on intermediate programming, making it a great manual to have on hand when you are getting ready to navigate that.

I must disagree somewhat...while I have both SS and PPST1 and PPST2, love the books and have no regrets about buying PPST2, I don't feel like it is absolutely necessary for anyone that has the first edition.

Sure, the example programs are nice, but there were no new revelations for me. Again, I have no regrets about buying the second edition and think it is a must buy for someone that doesn't have the first edition, but wouldn't agree that you need it if you do have the first edition already.

To answer another poster...yes the strength tables are taken out.