starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010: Avascular Necrosis Man's new beginning

Default 2010: Avascular Necrosis Man's new beginning

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After sitting on my ass for several months, for reasons I cannot remember, I started training again recently.
    For more details about my training history, injuries and weak stats, check my previous, short lived log:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=11427

My training schedule will look like this, starting tomorrow:

Training A
    Back Extension
    Bench press 3x5
    Hammer chin 2x8-12
    Sissy squat 2 sets
    leg raises 2 sets
    seated calf raise 2 sets

Training B
    GHR
    Seated press 3x5
    Pullup 3x5
    Sissy squat 2 sets
    ab rollout 2 sets
    standing calf raise 2 sets

Alternating A and B. I'm not doing squats because of the bad hip. Same goes for deadlift, powercleans, ...

The A-B Split structure you're using is a very solid approach- I've written about it extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Fox View Post
    After sitting on my ass for several months, for reasons I cannot remember, I started training again recently.
    For more details about my training history, injuries and weak stats, check my previous, short lived log:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=11427

My training schedule will look like this, starting tomorrow:

Training A
    Back Extension
    Bench press 3x5
    Hammer chin 2x8-12
    Sissy squat 2 sets
    leg raises 2 sets
    seated calf raise 2 sets

Training B
    GHR
    Seated press 3x5
    Pullup 3x5
    Sissy squat 2 sets
    ab rollout 2 sets
    standing calf raise 2 sets

Alternating A and B. I'm not doing squats because of the bad hip. Same goes for deadlift, powercleans, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Staley View Post
    The A-B Split structure you're using is a very solid approach- I've written about it extensively.
    I am a bit worried about the number of exercises though. Anything over 4 exercises looks too complicated on paper to me .
    I couldn't find any other way to do it, while still training my entire body and without doing squats, deadlifts,...

Good luck Flying Fox.

I had a hip replacement last October 10th due to my hip dying from AV. I had crushed my hip about 4 years ago, had it surgically repaired and it eventually died. I discovered it because it partially collapsed from deadlifting...LOL.

Have you thought about having a hip replacement or more likely at your age a resurfacing? My surgeon gave me the go-ahead to do whatever I wanted 4 weeks after surgery. He told me I could lift as heavy as I wanted to. I'm slowly building back my strength using the SS Novice program.

At this point I can't tell the difference between the hips, it doesn't hurt and I can lift weights. I'm a bit older than you at 42 but I'm very happy with my new hip.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ43 View Post
    Good luck Flying Fox.

I had a hip replacement last October 10th due to my hip dying from AV. I had crushed my hip about 4 years ago, had it surgically repaired and it eventually died. I discovered it because it partially collapsed from deadlifting...LOL.
    Haha, lol!

No wait, that's not fun

Have you thought about having a hip replacement or more likely at your age a resurfacing? My surgeon gave me the go-ahead to do whatever I wanted 4 weeks after surgery. He told me I could lift as heavy as I wanted to. I'm slowly building back my strength using the SS Novice program.

At this point I can't tell the difference between the hips, it doesn't hurt and I can lift weights. I'm a bit older than you at 42 but I'm very happy with my new hip.
    I could get a hip resurfacing, but my doctor told me to wait as long as I can, because of the limited lifespan of a prosthesis. He also told me that doing sports could shorten the lifespan. I'm surprised your doctor let's you do everything you want.
    I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I won't take the risk.

Haha, lol!

No wait, that's not fun

I could get a hip resurfacing, but my doctor told me to wait as long as I can, because of the limited lifespan of a prosthesis. He also told me that doing sports could shorten the lifespan. I'm surprised your doctor let's you do everything you want.
    I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I won't take the risk.
    The fact is there is no data on the longevity of the newer devices that they use for the replacements and resurfacing. I have a titanium shaft with a large diameter cobalt chrome ball and socket (metal on metal). I have serious doubts that I'm going to wear away a the ball and socket to the point that I'll need another replacement. There is no plastic liner in my joint which is one reason the older replacements would need to be redone.

Because I have a larger diameter (40mm) ball in my hip it is very close in size to the original femur ball resulting in a very stable and flexible joint. I am not only pain free but I'm more mobile than I was before my surgery.

This is my 6th surgery for sports related injuries and I can offer you this advice: do not listen to the "advice" from the surgeons regarding anything other than what they do - which is to fix bones or whatever their area of expertise is. They will try to say things to you about what you should be doing etc...what exercises they think will do what, etc. They do not know shit about anything but their expertise.

If you do your research there are a LOT of people out there lifting heavy weights on joint replacements and have for years. I have been in contact with people squatting close to 400 lbs on their hip replacements. I know of people that have gone back to full contact martial arts with the newer metal on metal hip replacements.

There is also a LOT of information out there that is not correct. My surgeon let me know that MOST of the information online is marketing....so you have to be careful in what you are reading.

We all know our bodies and what we are willing to go through, but I ask you: are you willing to waste years of your life basically being crippled? The new metal on metal joints are pretty indesctructible, especially the resurfacing options. I can live my life and lift weights as I want as heavy as I want now without being crippled like I was. Think about your quality of life and what your goals are. You don't have to put them off for years. Are you willing to wait 10 years before you can do what you like? 20?

Also...sports is a pretty general term. Lifting weights is not the same thing as running or jumping constantly. You surgeon does not really know how what you are doing will affect one of the new replacement/resurfacing options so make sure you take his advice with a BIG grain of salt.

I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to sell you on the idea, but all I can say is I wish I had mine sooner because that is time wasted in my life I'll never get back. I'm living my life the way I want now. You might read up on this stuff and find out more from people that have the newer replacements what their experiences are. Please feel free to ask me anything you like if you are curious.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!

The fact is there is no data on the longevity of the newer devices that they use for the replacements and resurfacing. I have a titanium shaft with a large diameter cobalt chrome ball and socket (metal on metal). I have serious doubts that I'm going to wear away a the ball and socket to the point that I'll need another replacement. There is no plastic liner in my joint which is one reason the older replacements would need to be redone.

Because I have a larger diameter (40mm) ball in my hip it is very close in size to the original femur ball resulting in a very stable and flexible joint. I am not only pain free but I'm more mobile than I was before my surgery.

This is my 6th surgery for sports related injuries and I can offer you this advice: do not listen to the "advice" from the surgeons regarding anything other than what they do - which is to fix bones or whatever their area of expertise is. They will try to say things to you about what you should be doing etc...what exercises they think will do what, etc. They do not know shit about anything but their expertise.

If you do your research there are a LOT of people out there lifting heavy weights on joint replacements and have for years. I have been in contact with people squatting close to 400 lbs on their hip replacements. I know of people that have gone back to full contact martial arts with the newer metal on metal hip replacements.

There is also a LOT of information out there that is not correct. My surgeon let me know that MOST of the information online is marketing....so you have to be careful in what you are reading.

We all know our bodies and what we are willing to go through, but I ask you: are you willing to waste years of your life basically being crippled? The new metal on metal joints are pretty indesctructible, especially the resurfacing options. I can live my life and lift weights as I want as heavy as I want now without being crippled like I was. Think about your quality of life and what your goals are. You don't have to put them off for years. Are you willing to wait 10 years before you can do what you like? 20?

Also...sports is a pretty general term. Lifting weights is not the same thing as running or jumping constantly. You surgeon does not really know how what you are doing will affect one of the new replacement/resurfacing options so make sure you take his advice with a BIG grain of salt.

I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to sell you on the idea, but all I can say is I wish I had mine sooner because that is time wasted in my life I'll never get back. I'm living my life the way I want now. You might read up on this stuff and find out more from people that have the newer replacements what their experiences are. Please feel free to ask me anything you like if you are curious.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!
    Damn, if I could actually start lifting like it's supposed to be done... I can't even imagine how happy that would make me. I will seriously consider your words, and I'm curious about the people you know that squat heavy with hip replacements. Could you give me more details?

Normally, I'm supposed to meet up with my surgeon every year around june. That gives me plenty of time to do some research on the matter, and I'll discuss it with my surgeon then. I have the luck of studuing at the department of biomedical sciences at the university of Antwerp, so any research on the subject should be available to me.
    Also, he doesn't claim sports will shorten the lifespan, he said it might. I don't think he wants to risk saying I can easely start weightlifting without having enough data to back it up.

Now, back to training. Yesterday's workout:

Back extension:
    12xBW
    10xBW
    12xBW

Bench Press:
    5x55
    5x55
    5x55

Hammer chin:
    8xBW
    7xBW

Sissy squat:
    8xBW
    13xBW

Roman chair situp:
    10xBW
    10xBW

BB Seated calf raise:
    15x35
    15x35

DB Reverse fly:
    20x4
    18x4

BB curl:
    12x15
    12x15

Comments:
    -Just bought a roman chair, so there was still a little experimenting involved
    -Bench press is still rather light, but felt heavy.
    -BB curls were light as well, because my wrists get hurt easely with this exercise. So I'm building it up slowly
    -weigth are in kg, not in lbs. I'm weak, but not that weak.
    Last edited by Flying Fox; 01-09-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Damn, if I could actually start lifting like it's supposed to be done... I can't even imagine how happy that would make me. I will seriously consider your words, and I'm curious about the people you know that squat heavy with hip replacements. Could you give me more details?

Normally, I'm supposed to meet up with my surgeon every year around june. That gives me plenty of time to do some research on the matter, and I'll discuss it with my surgeon then. I have the luck of studuing at the department of biomedical sciences at the university of Antwerp, so any research on the subject should be available to me.
    Also, he doesn't claim sports will shorten the lifespan, he said it might. I don't think he wants to risk saying I can easely start weightlifting without having enough data to back it up.
    The people that squat heavy are people that have contacted me after reading my blog. If you look around the Internet you will find information from other people that have had hip replacements and still lift hard.

Clarence Bass is the best known person that has had a hip replacement. I can't say what Clarence is lifting nowadays but he has been training hard for a long time.

Check out THIS link with information that Clarence put down. Just note that the anterior approach that he mentions is NOT the only option for a minimally invasive surgery.

Powerlifter Ricky Crain has also had a hip replacement and still competes. Read about him HERE. Apparently he was able to squat close to 600 on his replacement.

You are correct that your doctor does not want to risk "giving you permission" to do something he doesn't really know about. He is also correct that lifting weights MIGHT lessen the lifespan of the joint. But at this point no one knows what those lifespans are on average for the newer joints. They haven't been around long enough for people to have that data. The new resurfacing options that you would be eligable sound even more promising than the joints. I was not able to get a resurfacing as I had 3 large screws that needed to be removed from my previous operation which would not have left enough bone.

HERE is my blog. You can see my progressions so far with SS from my start date last November 16th. It is hard work getting my squat strength back up but I'm hitting all reps below parallel.

PM me if you like and I'll shoot you my email address if you have any questions, etc.

The people that squat heavy are people that have contacted me after reading my blog. If you look around the Internet you will find information from other people that have had hip replacements and still lift hard.

Clarence Bass is the best known person that has had a hip replacement. I can't say what Clarence is lifting nowadays but he has been training hard for a long time.

Check out THIS link with information that Clarence put down. Just note that the anterior approach that he mentions is NOT the only option for a minimally invasive surgery.

Powerlifter Ricky Crain has also had a hip replacement and still competes. Read about him HERE. Apparently he was able to squat close to 600 on his replacement.

You are correct that your doctor does not want to risk "giving you permission" to do something he doesn't really know about. He is also correct that lifting weights MIGHT lessen the lifespan of the joint. But at this point no one knows what those lifespans are on average for the newer joints. They haven't been around long enough for people to have that data. The new resurfacing options that you would be eligable sound even more promising than the joints. I was not able to get a resurfacing as I had 3 large screws that needed to be removed from my previous operation which would not have left enough bone.

HERE is my blog. You can see my progressions so far with SS from my start date last November 16th. It is hard work getting my squat strength back up but I'm hitting all reps below parallel.

PM me if you like and I'll shoot you my email address if you have any questions, etc.
    I'll definitly look into it after my final examinations (I'm not sure how you call it in english, the period of testing after a semester in college).

On a different note, here's a little video of my improvised GHR. Horrible form, but the setup seems to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_tyJ...layer_embedded

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck Flying Fox.

KJ43,
    Real happy to hear of your progress. I had my right hip resurfaced on 12/3/09. I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym. My Doc has more experience with runners and triathletes who have worn out the cartilage in their hips. He never had anyone who could DL or Squat what I could and I'm only strong relative to my age group (50s) and the general population. Somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced on the charts in PP. I will be a one man case study for him. It will take me a while to get back as I have to worry about a fracture of the femoral neck (In a THR, it's removed so it's not an issue.) I've been cleared for light benches and seated press but nothing standing yet.

Good luck with your training.

JW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast