starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with milk, I think

Default Issue with milk, I think

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all, I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for, I had a question about milk.
    I am not a GOMAD person, but I am trying to add a decent amount daily, usually in my shakes (2cups milk, Pro. powder, and occasionally a little bit of fruit for taste) once a day and sometimes another cup or two as a "snack".

The trouble is later on I feel really sick. I have never been a real big milk person, however I love most other dairy and haven't really noticed this with cheese or yogurt. Just wondering if you build a tolerance and I should keep it up, or try to find something else to to turn my protein powder in to a shake.
    Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Frenchy

"Gallon of yoghurt."

You might be lactose intolerant. Pound of cheese?

If you are desperate, you could try goat's milk. Lot's of lactose intolerant people drink it, it's "closer" to human breast milk, and fairly accessible. A little more expensive than the moo juice, but if you aren't on GOMAD, may not be a big deal. Whole Foods generally carries it.

You get used to it. At the beginning of this week, 2 cups of milk and I would fart my brains out for hours. Now, I'm fine.

Thanks for responding, fellas. I will try to stick it out and see if I can build up a better tolerance. I don't know if I can do the goat milk, that kinda scares me, but I appreciate the suggestion

For a lot of people it gets worse. May want to try Lactase.

You can avoid dairy and get all the necessary calories, it's just harder. I wrote out my whole intake on an excel sheet, it helped me see where I needed to tweak. If you know how much your intake is from other places, you'll know how much dairy you need, and from there what you can substitute for it if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    You might be lactose intolerant. Pound of cheese?
    Every dairy product contains lactose, including cheese, yogurt, butter etc.

If you are really lactose intolerant, I don't think you can get used to lactose simply by consuming more lactose.

You can try lactose free alternatives: soy milk, rice milk, almond milk etc. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance for more alternatives.

starting strength coach development program
    Most cheeses have far less lactose than the equivalent amount of milk for a variety of reasons. Yes, they have lactose. But people who are lactose intolerant are generally able to handle small amounts of lactose and thus have little problem with most cheeses.

Anyway, I have much the same problem. What worked for me is one lactase pill per pint when consuming large quantities of milk. YMMV. Do some scientific research.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast