starting strength gym

Thread: "Hybrid" Programs

Default "Hybrid" Programs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JLascek View Post
    Absolutely not. The "max effort" days you speak of occur so infrequently that they would never stress the person enough to require weekly (intermediate) programming, and don't do a good job of making anyone strong. I don't know what "MP" is, but the CFSB is not a very good "hybrid" program.
    Yeah, we said pretty much the same thing here, and it's what I imagined you might say too.

So what's your opinion of what a good hybrid program is? I assume what you were doing in the days of CFWF would count. (I ask, because I will eventually be an intermediate if I can get my lower back to cooperate, and will want to roll more conditioning back in to keep meeting my requirements for the military).

There are plenty of things that you can use to get conditioned that are far less complicated and far more useful. I'm not typically concerned with someone's enjoyment of the exercise, just their adaptation of improved performance. Variability for the sake of variability usually isn't useful.
    Sure, but to some extent there are people that do this for fun (I am an example).
    Last edited by stef; 01-08-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Post moved from "The Novice Effect" because it's moved way off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Yeah, we said pretty much the same thing here, and it's what I imagined you might say too.

So what's your opinion of what a good hybrid program is? I assume what you were doing in the days of CFWF would count. (I ask, because I will eventually be an intermediate if I can get my lower back to cooperate, and will want to roll more conditioning back in to keep meeting my requirements for the military).

I've talked about this before somewhere on Rip's forum.

Would CFFB be considered a "hybrid" program? I've heard great things from people who have followed it.

There is not any one person that is an authority on what constitutes a "hybrid program".

CrossFit Football is a simple linear progression with conditioning. This is good.

What are your goals in seeking a hybrid program? If you have two separate objectives that you need to meet, and they require separate programming then a hybrid may be your only option. If you just want variety then you have accept that something in your program will be sacrificed.

I like to mountain bike, and I know when it gets warm here in New Hampshire that my workouts will start to suffer when I go on long rides. There is no free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    What are your goals in seeking a hybrid program? If you have two separate objectives that you need to meet, and they require separate programming then a hybrid may be your only option.
    This is not true, necessarily. If there is a specific "event" that you're training for AND you have the luxury to start training for it long before, then you could pursue a strict linear progression for a while (which would make the most efficient use of your recovery abilities and produce the fastest increases in strength) and start to dial down the strength training emphasis to maintenance levels or switch to a hybrid program when the time was right.

Let's keep in mind, also, that general conditioning can be improved much more easily and in shorter time than strength can. Skills acquisition is another story, however.
    -Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    So what's your opinion of what a good hybrid program is? I assume what you were doing in the days of CFWF would count.
    Isn't the answer to this the WFAC GPP program (or whatever it would be called now) that Justin posted as a pdf back in September? I can't find an active link, but it's basically the A & B workouts from the SS novice program spread over 4 days w/ the addition of 3XF chin-ups and 2 short intense metcons. I'll link to Jacob Cloud's very detailed approach to it from the CF forum:

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=75
    Last edited by Robert Beckett; 01-09-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: clarity issues

I've talked about this before somewhere on Rip's forum.
    Thanks. I will do another search

CrossFit Football is a simple linear progression with conditioning. This is good.
    Obviously you think this is one example.

Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    What are your goals in seeking a hybrid program? If you have two separate objectives that you need to meet, and they require separate programming then a hybrid may be your only option. If you just want variety then you have accept that something in your program will be sacrificed.
    The goals question is common and normal, so I guess some info would be appropriate.
    My goals are in this thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=14136

Why those are my goals is a little more complicated. I am a 19 year
    Naval Submarine Officer recently medically disqualified from the sub service, but still on active duty due to an inner ear issue (bilateral Meniere's disease - google if you really wanna know). Over the course of time, I have discovered that the better overall condition I am in, the better I handle the complications associated with the disease (vertigo, tinnitus etc). This is certainly more critical than the physical prep requirements of the Navy (which I can manage on minimal effort). So, I got bored doing the SSDD routine (Same S*** Different Day) late in 2008, and a buddy introduced my to CF. The variability may not be the most effective, but it keeps me in the gym and interested and the community I have met by and large consists of pretty decent like-minded people. So, in the last year, I recognized that strength was a significant limiting factor for me (I am slightly competitive and don't like eating anyone's dust in anything) - so I decided I wanted to get stronger. I had SS to learn the lifts initially, so I decided to try to do that + 2-3 MetCons a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Beckett View Post
    Isn't the answer to this the WFAC GPP program (or whatever it would be called now) that Justin posted as a pdf back in September? I can't find an active link, but it's basically the A & B workouts from the SS novice program spread over 4 days w/ the addition of 3XF chin-ups and 2 short intense metcons. I'll link to Jacob Cloud's very detailed approach to it from the CF forum:

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=75
    I've seen this thread and the details look good, but when I read Justin's comments, was simply interested in his perspective, hence the original questions/comments

starting strength coach development program
    Charles Staley posted something that would probably work fairly well for this, if you have a decent strength base. It's one method I will consider when it's time for me to cut some weight.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=13834

Good luck finding what you like!