starting strength gym

Thread: Question on squat grip

Default Question on squat grip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Can anyone tell me why a lot of powerlifters use such a wide grip in the squat?

For me it would be the enemy of a tight back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQT_...eature=related

probably the best example I can find.

Mobility and shoulder health. If you get around the guys at Elite, west side etc most of them will at many times train with a wider grip as they are so damn big and the close grip really takes its toll on the shoulders if used every session as well as the elbows. This is aloe the reason for using a buffalo bar like in that video of Kroc, it ease the stress on the shoulders a bit but still allows hard heavy squat training.

It is also a bit of a tradition and how things were done for years not saying its right but it wasn't until recent that many of them have made the change and started to bring the grip in as far as comfort and mobility allow with such high amounts of lean mass.

We all have to remember to compare apples to apples. Close and tight to one person may not be close and tight to another.

As well we also have to remember some or even many times some of the greatest athletes in the world are NOT the greatest people top learn from. Im Not at ALL saying Kroc is a bad guy to learn from by any means. The guy is a stud, but having a great physique of great numbers doesnt always equate, many times great athletes are great despite what they do not because of what they do.