Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dastardly Farkin Power!

Wink Dastardly Farkin Power!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This training log follows on from over five months on SS:
    http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ight=dastardly

And a single week trying Texas method: http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...636#post137636

History:
    I started barbell training in 2009, but around the same time I injured my knee. So I spent most of 2009 rehabbing it as well as training with the "stronglifts" programme. With which I wasted a lot of time, because it teaches bad technique and very poorly thought out programming ideas.

Heres a video of me early in training, a few weeks before tearing the fuck out of my knee.

2010:
    Started SS, fixed squat technique, bought lifting shoes & belt. (video of learning process)

Went from about 90kg 3x3 at the end of december to 100kg 5x5 or 110kgx4 during my 5 or so months doing Starting Strength.

I deloaded many times last year and again for SS. Progress seems to have come to a halt on the squat. The harder I push, the more I get pushed backwards into regression. Everything suggested that it was time for me to move on to programming aimed at weekly progression. So I decided to try the Texas Method. I did it for just a week, but realised, it just wasn't for me, at least right now. Trying 5rm's exposed many faults in my squat and bench press. My body already felt beaten up in my knees, hips & shoulders from squatting. Maximal attempts made technique fall apart potentially causing big problems for knees & hips. 1-3rm type benching proved even more problematic & dangerous for my dodgy shoulders.

It was not going to work for these reasons, but also I realised that I found it totally unenjoyable, I was feeling burnt out from doing the same thing in the same place over & over. I felt like revisiting my original strength goal of wanting to get good at olympic lifts, mixing environment and working on some rehab/prehab for my weaknesses.

So I decided on some alternative temporary programming, which should also make things more fun again.

Provision Sample Regime: (which hopefully also follows Starr concept)

Day 1: Heavy (at my regular old school dungeon gym)

Back Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift: 5rm
    Dips: 3xf

Day 2: Light (free access to local tennis club gym, just DB's & cable station)

Lunges 3x10
    DB seated/incline press:3x12
    Chins/Pullups: 5xF

Day 3: Medium (Local College, has bumper plates & platform)

C&J or Snatches
    Front Squat 5x3
    Press 3x5 (unsure whether pressing after jerks could be problematic)
    Power Pull - maybe?
    Abdominal work -(maybe, as this gym has a decline situp bench.)
    Last edited by Dastardly; 06-15-2010 at 06:07 PM.

This week will be loosely structured as I am taking part in a bike race on thursday, and possibly on Sunday too.

Like a haphazard fool, I twisted my (bad) knee yesterday trying out new clipless pedals on my bike. I went to squat today with two pairs of knee sleeves on (because they are rubbish) yet I realised I had accumulated fatigue from last week and had not enough strength to even finish a single set.

I decided to keep intensity high (for maintainin strength) and attempted as much as I could on my work weight. But only 2 reps were managed!

I tried the Bench press & Dips combo which was great. And played around with heavy deadlifts, but was feeling the same fatigue that weakened my squats. Still managed a PR. Of 140kg for 5x1.

Jun 15 - SH gym
    Squat:
    20kg 10
    60kg 5
    80kg 3 (pain & shifting in hip)
    90kg fail, 1 (extremely hard, without belt)
    110kg 2 (max effort, with belt for, intended 3x5)

Bench:
    20kg 10
    40kg 5
    50kg 2
    60kg 1
    62.5kg 3x5

Deadlift:
    60kg 5 (intended as power pull, but was piss weak & slow)
    100kg 2 (sumo, disappointingly slow & hard)
    130kg 2, fail (sumo, again awkward feeling)
    140kg 1, fail, 1, 1, 1, 1 (heavy reliance on belt, big pauses, round backed)

Dips: 12, 12, 6

Snatch DBL overhand grip RDL:

60kg 3x12

Okay, so you went in thinking you were going to do 242# for 3x5, even though you were only able to get 4 at that weight in your last SS session on the 5th. And even though this is 10% heavier than your last 5x5 and just a little less than your failed intensity day attempt on TM.

Unsurprisingly (to me) you were only able to eek out 2 reps at 242#, which were probably high.

I know you're just playing around at this point, but it would be more fun for you, IMHO, if you deloaded 10% and progressed 2.5kg per week. You also might want to go 5x5, if you're only squatting once a week.

Constantly maxing out and failing is not a great way to give yourself a rest.

Hear what your saying bro.

I did 110kg 3, 2, 2 on the 3rd of june.

Thought I may have recovered enough to hit it, but not at all. Its funny, because during my time on SS, workouts would feel just as though, if not tougher. Yet by the by the next session Id be able to move the weight. I am really feeling a clear lucid difference between my recovery capability.

Of course I will deload now, the signals were loud and clear.

Wednesday 16th June:

Pull ups: 3x6

Chins: 5

Thursday 17th June

I took part in a bike roller race today. It was only a 500m sprint, but I just could not focus on anything else and didnt really have anytime for other training today.

The race was held in the large shopping mall in the centre of my city, open for all public for 5 hours.

I placed 3rd, with just one attempt. Some people had a couple. I think I couldve made the start considerably more agressive taking 2 seconds or so off, which mightve got me to first. But the kid who won, was also doing it for the first time like me. So it was a fair win. His time was also apparently 4th best in the UK.

I was rather worried I would come well back, lower than non-cyclists even. When I was at school I was in a sort of remedial class for physical education, all the slowest, weakest, laziest kids. I used to come last in absolutely everything.

Up until 2-3 years ago I was unable to walk in a group of people, I would fall behind because my poor lungs would get out of breath and my poorly co-ordinated stride would lag behind too.

When going on bike rides with friends, and doing "alley cat" races over the past couple years, I would come around an hour late behind everyone else. So even though my all round fitness was drastically improved. I lacked the lung power to even perform averagely.

But placing above average in this race gives me hope. Perhaps if I put enough effort into strength & power building and then sprint conditioning. I might be able to perform decently at track cycling.

By decently I mean at a very local level, and basically not embarassing myself! Being able to train/race in groups and not come dead last. Something like that would be a massive milestone based on my history.

My previous weeks training was rather disrupted, something which I was dissapointed with. I felt it had left me with some loss of strength, so I felt like having another go at SS to bring myself back up, and also see if slight deloading might help me break some sticky points before I start playing with my own programming.
    But in the end, this week turned out poor too.

I thought I had been conservative in my weight choice of 100kg 3x5 on the first day considering I had done 100kg 5x5 a couple weeks ago with no grief.
    But it was incredibly tough, and triggered my Hamstring tendonitis to come back with ferocity after finally dissappating after months of problems.

I missed my midweek workout both because my hamstring felt so bad and because of World cup match timing.

I was still left very sore on Friday so decided to try High Bar squats instead, to remove hamstring emphasis. They felt much better & solid than my low bar squats, even if bar position was a bit tricky, and afterwards my tendonitis is still very bad.

Training 21-June

Snatch & Overhead squats.
    Lots with Broomstick and a few with bar.

Back Squat:
    20kg 2x5
    60kg 5
    80kg 3
    90kg 2
    100kg 5, 5, 5 (such a tough fight of breathing squats with tight belt)
    Bench Press: (L Shoulder feeling a bit twisted)
    20kg 2x5
    40kg 5
    50kg 3
    60kg 1
    65kg 1
    62.5kg 5, 5, 2 (much slower & awkward than last time)
    Good Mornings:
    20kg 10
    40kg 3x10
    42.5kg 2x10
    Chins:
    5kg 6, 5, 1
    Muscle snatches, overhead squats and squat snatches.
    15kg then 25kg. – hard work for middle back.

Training-23rd June-outdoors

Supersetted Vertical Jumps & Pull Ups:

VJ: 20
    PU: 7
    PU: 7
    PU: 5
    CU: 5

Friday 25th June

High Bar Squats
    20kg 5
    50kg 5
    60kg 3
    70kg 2
    75kg 5x5
    Very Slight Gming when heavy, but overall felt excellent, tight & in control. Got bounce out of the hole, no knee wobbling, Did worryingly feel my hamstring tendonitis even during training.
    Bench Press
    25kg 10
    45kg 5
    60kg 2
    65kg 5, 5, 3
    Worked in with some new visitors to the gym. Dissapointed that I have do development, more like regression in Benching ability.
    Good Mornings
    20kg 8
    45kg 3x10 (tough “breathing reps”)
    Chins
    +5kg 7, 3, 3
    Snatch Practice
    15kg bar, then 20kg bar. Reharsed some full squat sntach technique that came out very solid. Also did muscle snatches with the bar.

Training-28 June-Alexander Stadium.
    High Bar Squat:
    20kg 2x5
    50kg 5
    65kg 3
    60kg 1 (mistake)
    70kg 2
    77.5kg 5x5
    Press:
    20kg 5
    25kg 3
    30kg 2
    37.5kg 3x3 (belted, means significant strength regression)
    Power cleans (and some full cleans). – Wrist Fucked.
    40kg 4x5 (out of practice so felt heavy, but technique very improved)
    50kg 3, fail, 1. (frogs work great for squat cleans)
    Hanging Knee Raises: (knee to elbow much too hard)
    3x10
    Decline Situp:
    +5kg (behindhead) 5x5

Training-30-Jun
    High Bar Back Squat:
    20kg 2x5
    50kg 5
    70kg 3
    80kg 3x5 (hamstrings feel great)
    Bench Press:
    20kg 10
    40kg 5 (felt very heavy, I feel much weaker)
    50kg 3
    60kg 3x5 (Very hard. dissappointed deload, was scheduled to lift 65kg+)
    DB incline 45º bench press:
    15kg 3x12 (felt good)
    Good Mornings:
    20kg 10
    50kg 3x10 (very hard, resorted to semi sumo & low bar, caused knee and hamstring pain/soreness.)
    Chins:
    +5kg 7, 5, 4
    Muscle Snatch & OH Squat combo X 3
    20kg (fattest bar) Only
    MS 10
    OS 5
    (Overhead squats felt very solid)

starting strength coach development program
    By the morning of my last workout day (wednesday 30 jun) my hamstring tendonitis had dissapated a lot. Most likely due to the rehabilative effects of switching to high bar squats.

My legs and knees felt absolutely great after my squatting session yesterday. But when doing good mornings, the emphasis/tension on hamstrings undid it all!

I was left with strained feeling right hamstring, tendonitis and knee strain/pain.

I think I need to ditch the good mornings (advanced novice w/light day) and focus on the high bar squats three times a week just like a raw novice.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast