starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kit-Brothel

Default Occasionally updated log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    New log because I don't want to be with the commoners in "General Training" or whatever.

Kit whoring will be sadly absent for the first few months although I do occasionally play with my double ply shirt for no reason than to see if I've got any better at using it by never training it (I never do). I might do this next time I have a training partner actually.

Anyway today gets the new log off to a corking start. Compared to the crap that went on in the old one at least.

Rows:
    110 x 8
    110 x 8
    198 x 8
    198 x 8
    242 x 8
    242 x 8

Deadlifts:
    belt on
    308 x 1
    396 x 1
    440 x 4

440 x 4 is not bad considering I did rows and training of late has been hilariously bad. Probably a personal best of some kind since I remember doing the same weight for two doubles when I was training for a September meet (in which I pulled it for a single )
    Last edited by George Noble; 05-23-2011 at 11:54 AM.

what's your programming like? ie, TX method, advanced programming, etc.

My programming at the moment is go to the gym, have fun then go home and get fat, all the while making sure I get lots of deadlift and bench work in.

Normally my programming is a bit more involved. For my deadlift* I did an eight week cycle of light weights off the floor adding weight each week and ending up doing a fast triple with 180 kg the week before the meet. That was speed work, and after that I did rack pulls and then rows from the floor. Then abs. Squat day (once a week) was 4 weeks of 5s raw, then 2 weeks of 2s straps down, then 2 weeks of 2s straps up. My squat on the day was a disaster but I think I should have been able to handle 300 kg. Bench I did once a week and just worked in my shirt to various boards, making sure to get enough volume in which has been a mistake in the past.

My off seasons never last long enough to really get my teeth into a program so I tend to just do what I'm doing now - have fun, hit the lifts hard, deload when I need to and eat. That's the price I'm paying for whoring kit too early, but c'est la vie - it's fun and I'm getting stronger even doing everything "wrong."

Am I ready for this kind of programming? Not by the standards here, and I don't eat enough. But no matter what level of advancement you have to program like this to be good at lifting in kit. I spent a lot of the year ggetting good at this and not much of the year getting strong, but I pulled 501 in a belt and a singlet at the Worlds so I'm getting better.

*For deadlift training for a meet, you need to watch Andy Bolton's DVD. My training was very similar (except with pretty much all the weights halved ). Some basic adjustments can be made for how much of a novice you are - novices can handle more work on top of the basic deadlift cycle because the weights are lighter.

that's awesome. I may check out that Andy Bolton DVD. Pulling off the floor is my strongest lift--monkey-ass arms with average height helps. This year I want to compete just for the f of it.

How long have you been competing?

BTW, 501 pull at any weight is awesome in my book. But to do that at like 180 pounds is freaking awesome.
    Last edited by misspelledgeoff; 01-10-2010 at 08:44 AM.

First competition was September 21st 2008, weighed in at 72.2 kg and totalled 410 (sorry for lack of conversions, it's 4am here and I can't be arsed). As a caveat to my weighing in at 180, I cut from about 190 I think. Competing just for the F of it is a brilliant idea.

Did a bit of benchin'.

Dumbbells (wt = total, not each hand):
    88 x 8
    110 x 8
    143 x 12
    143 x 10
    165 x 6
    165 x 6
    set of 12 and both sets of 6 are PBs I think. Not great but not bad considering I haven't trained bench properly since Xmas day.

Smith overhead press
    110 x 12
    wider grip
    110 x 14
    110 x 8

Lat pulldowns
    2x15, then went heavy and did a set of 6 and a set of 8 I think

Curls
    a few sets of 8 on the cable machine

CGBP type extension thing (like a JM press I suppose)
    132 x 10
    132 x 7

Bashed the heavy bag at the end for some light GPP.

Also during this session I learned the rate equation for enzymes with 2 substrates

v = ........................Vmax
    ...... ----------------------------------------
    ...... 1 + KmAx/[Ax] + KmB/[B] + KmAB/[Ax][B]

Bitchin'.

Exam tomorrow and then another one on Friday so probably no training for a while unless the other one turns out to be really easy looking.

Exam. What I learnt yesterday didn't come up. Fuck. Made up some biochemistry though which should be OK as I'm pretty creative for a scientist. I know some stuff about proteins and some stuff about kinetics so I wrote that. Should be OK. Anyways..

Squat!! Wow!
    132 x 10
    176 x 5
    220 x 3
    264 x 1
    belt
    308 x 1
    352 x 4 @ 8.5
    396 x 1 @ 9
    wraps
    440 x 0 lol absolute abortion of an attempt. Didn't even come close.

Concentric puss pad good mornings
    132 x 10
    154 x 10
    fucking hard, especially on abs. Time to stop calling it a puss pad.

RPE makes me feel cool but today was basically a waste of ammonia.

Hip felt absolutely fine so no need to get hopped up on deca.

Your formulas ain't nuttin' compared to mine.

Bench
    44 x 10
    132 x 5
    176 x 3
    220 x 2
    231 x 0
    198 x 5
    132 x 10
    132 x 10
    132 x 7
    Experimenting with different grips. Shirt competition grip is too wide, raw training grip is either OK or too narrow. I think my old raw grip from before I got a shirt is the way forward. Even so, not sure what the deal was with the crappy strength. Loads of small things adding up I guess. I should bench 264 in competition at least.

starting strength coach development program
    What are you studying in school? I'm doing a masters right now in microbiology, pretty fun shit in my opinion.

When is your next meet?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast